cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bing.com and a long-running script

penneck
Grafter

Bing.com and a long-running script

Just lately, I have been having a frequent problem when using Bing Maps. It keeps locking up and I get a message that Bing.com isn't responding because of a long-running script. I often have to use Task Manager to kill the process (and even that isn't particularly quick to do the kill).

Any suggestions please

Thanks

15 REPLIES
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Re: Bing.com and a long-running script

GOOGLE maps Cool

always found Bing to be poor at anything

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

i used to use Tom-Tom live traffic , but since they stopped it being "open"  I have changed to Bing maps, as opposed to Google maps, because Bing does give "some" indication on the main routes, of the traffic situation, whereas Google does not..

Never had a problem such as the O.P. is having though...

EDIT EDIT EDIT   20 mins after the above ....

Just been to Bing Maps and checking traffic... i got the "unresponive script" after scrolling the map a bit, and also "magnifying" it to get closer to the traffic level,....  then it disappeared after clicking the X and also the  forum disappeared too ! ..

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

@shutter

My copies of Google maps on both a laptop and a tablet shows live traffic on most roads with info taken from the National Traffic feed. Don't you have a "traffic" button on your copy?

SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 53

@penneck

Do you by chance having any ad-blocking software/Ghostery addon active when visiting Bing Maps? This could be the issue as I have noticed on some sites where I block ads that the page loading icon spins for a very long time. It loads quickly when the adblocker is deactivated.

Community Veteran

@nozzer  Well, it wasn`t "obvious"   ... but thanks for the headsup!... found it in that stupid "menu" icon, that looks like a loaf of sliced bread... whatever happened to using Plain Language menu`s... or even the word " Menu "..

@penneck  I use Ghostrey, and an adblocker... never thought it would cause long loading times, but thanks again for info... will bear it in mind if I have problems..

penneck
Grafter

This is a reply to all of you that have been good enough to reply so far.

I used to use Google Maps, but it changed to Bing Maps - I thought that it was the same thing under a different name. I don't use it for traffic details - I didn't know it could be used for that, but then my desktop doesn't work very well in my car

I'm not using an ad blocker, or not that I know of, nor do I use Ghostrey.

The problem seems to kick off when I change the scale of the map or move it around, which I believe is the same symptoms that one of you had, though I don't remember a suggested solution. I'll go back to your replies and take another look

Thanks

penneck
Grafter

Just a bit more, now that I have reread the earlier replies. When I get the message about the script, I can get rid of this message by hitting the X, but Bing Maps is still frozen, hence I used Task Master to kill Bing Maps

Community Veteran

@penneck

What browser and OS are you using?

Community Veteran

Yeah.. I had/have the same problem when moving the map around... suddenly stops and freezes then get the message ...   using Palemoon...  ( latest , up to datest version )...

penneck
Grafter

I'm using Win 7 and Internet Explorer

Bing Maps was fine until a few weeks ago. I have now tried using their Feedback, and have given them my e-mail address, so they can contact me. Perhaps they know of this problem already, but if they do why haven't they fixed it?

Will let the forum know if I get anything from them

Cheers

Community Veteran

I had a very similar problem with ebay a few weeks ago. But that also coincided when ebay had site problems of their own.

Maybe your problem with bing is down to a problem bing is having.

--------------------------------------------

I see what you mean. Zoomed in and out fine a couple of goes. Went to a postcode zoomed in and out a bit then.........up pops the error window.

I'm using palemoon the last one before the engine change.

Community Veteran

@penneck

This thread has some ideas... http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie9-windows_7/internet-explorer-9-not-responding-due-to-...

The OP was having problems with locking up in Bing Maps, and on the first page someone called Londalou suggested a fix which later in the thread seems to have produced some results.

HI Smiley  I am the one who started this conversation and I THINK I MAY HAVE SOLVED the problem.  I am not holding my breath...but so far since I tried this solution...I haven't had any issures....so I am holding my breath.  OK...what you need to TRY...is to to TOOLS.  Click on INTERNET OPTION.  Than go to ADVANCE TAB...and CLICK RESET.  Make sure all your programs/website is not on there..except the one you're having access to TOOLS.  After you click RESET...put a check mark even next to Personal Settings too.  Than click OK.  Than it will do its thing.  THAN you'll need to REBOOT.  NOW I did this last night...and was nervous to use the computer today.  I got help from a friend and he said to try this method.  AND SO FAR...as I hold my breath...I havent had any issures...so far.  Go do this..seriously Smiley

Other suggestions seem to be centred on Google Toolbar and a recently installed copy of Chrome. Worth scanning through it.

penneck
Grafter

Hello nozzer,

Thanks for your help. I looked at the website you suggested, but I didn't understand some of the suggestion there, so I looked at what others had suggested there. Some recommended a system restore, so that is what I have tried. To my surprise I only had one restore point - 2 days ago a critical update - so I used that. So far it looks like the problem has gone.

My thanks to you and to all the others who tried to help

Community Veteran

It might be worth doing a full scan with Malwarebytes and your antivirus. Something is stopping more than just your Bing maps working!