cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bing Maps

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Bing Maps

My unreliable memory tells me I may have asked this question many moons ago, but if I did, I have forgotten the answer, so pls bear with me.

When I start Bing Maps, it used to go into a local road map showing south-west Hampshire to east Dorset. Then suddenly, it changed so that I got a map from Moscow in the east to Greenland in the west. After several months of this, it went back to the Hampshire/Dorset view, and this lasted for several months. Now I am back to the Moscow/Greenland view.

If any of you know how to do it, pls would you tell me how to get back to Dorset. Winter is coming on, and it is bloody cold in Moscow

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Bing Maps

@penneck  How about  Open BING MAPS...   locate the area that you are interested in....go to your Bookmaks/Favourites list ....... remove the current Bookmark/Favourite linky....   then Rebookmark/Refavourite the current screen...  close the window... the use the new bookmark/favourite to access it again ?

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Hello shutter,

Have just tried your suggestion. Unfortunately I am still getting the Greenland-to-Moscow view. Never mind. Thanks for the help, anyway

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

@penneck

I opened Bing Maps, logged in, clicked the 3 bars top right, clicked settings > location, put my postcode in the location box and clicked 'Save' at the bottom.

It now opens at my location area even after browsing to Murmansk and closing the map.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
shutter
Community Veteran

@penneck  ah well !... was just a thought.... as a matter of interest.... When I open Bing maps ( not often, but only cos of this thread ! )... it shows me the area around Sheffield... which may be something to do with my IP address...  are you sure your IP address is NOT Moscow !  ? ? 

@Strat tried your idea ... and it works,.... now get the "local" area around Pompey... Wink

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Strat,

I've just tried what you suggested. It was stating my home town, so I replaced that with my postcode, but I am still in the Greenland-to-Moscow view. Have also tried changing my location to somewhere in Essex, but that didn't change anything either

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I rarely, if ever, use Bing Maps but, if I open it on my location-unaware PC, I am looking at a map showing Haywards Heath in the centre and Tunbridge Wells towards the top right.  This bears no relation to my current location nor anywhere I have visited in the last several years.    

shutter
Community Veteran

@penneck Hmm,.....  That`s interesting..... After reading RR post just now, thought I would go and have a look at Bing Maps again.... it opened showing the area around  SHEFFIELD again..

That`s telling me that the location I put in has disappeared... probably because I cleaned my cookies and other stuff before closing last night with CCleaner and Free Internet Eraser ...

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

My GOOGLE maps shows my location correctly - down to the exact position - i.e. my location is in the centre of the map. This machine is location aware, but like @shutter, cookies &c are cleared at the end of the day.

I'll be back in a short while and report on what Bing maps does.

Having entered my postcode on Bing, and the hitting 'Locate me', it does exactly that - but the original opening map just puts Sheffield and surrounding area up.

John
shutter
Community Veteran

@jab1  Well,  on Google Maps... my centre of interest is "Barton on Humber".... Just south of the Humber Bridge ! !

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Strange, @shutter. Even when I visit Brighton, my location follows me - have you allowed Location awareness in Google maps?

John
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Sheffield - isn't that where PlusNet are based? Co-incidence or what? Doesn't explain why I get such a large part of the globe, but interesting all the same, particularly to conspiracy theorists. My unreliable memory tells me that the last time this sort of thing happened to me on Bing Maps, I had to send a feedback message to Bing, and the problem suddenly cleared a few days later - which may be why I cannot remember what the actual cure was. Also, as the map includes Moscow, it is winter, and it is Bing, am I dreaming of a White Christmas?

shutter
Community Veteran

@jab1  No,... I have not allowed my location on Google Maps... kinda lurks around, if you know what I mean... It`s no hardship for me to find where I live,... why broadcast it on some remote software  ? ? 

@penneck  Yes... Sheffield is where PN is located... and presumably , Bing read the I.P. address and locate me there....are you on a Russian I.P.  ? ? ? ?  somewhere near Moscow.... ? ? ?

Not sure why Google maps thinks I`m near the Humber Bridge though ! ! ...

penneck
Aspiring Pro

You will never guess what (and I am not joking - though there will be a small one near the end of this).

I have just gone onto Bing Maps, and my Home Page view is now back to the one I wanted but was complaining had been replaced by a map that stretched from Greenland to Moscow. I know its the 25th of December, but it must be Christmas (ho ho ho).........and a Merry Christmas to all of you in PlusNetland who have helped me over the years

shutter
Community Veteran

@penneck wrote:

You will never guess what (and I am not joking - though there will be a small one near the end of this).

I have just gone onto Bing Maps, and my Home Page view is now back to the one I wanted but was complaining had been replaced by a map that stretched from Greenland to Moscow. I know its the 25th of December, but it must be Christmas (ho ho ho).........and a Merry Christmas to all of you in PlusNetland who have helped me over the years

Ha Ha Ha.... just for a laff  ! ! .. I just been on bing maps... and I have moved from Sheffield, to Pembury near Tunbridge Wells...

(and I didn`t even wake up !! ! !  )