Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Billion BiPAC 8800NL users on fibre

thunderer
Grafter

Re: Billion BiPAC 8800NL users on fibre

Just thought I'd revive this thread.
I've just got the 8800 AXL, the 8800NL's bigger brother and it's superb, no dropped connections or other problems to mention, the only niggle I've got is with the 3010ND USB adaptor, which is a pain in the backside.
Billion in their infinite wisdom have a real cack-handed way of doing things with Windows 7 drivers and you have to be super fast to stop Windows 7 installing an appropriate driver instead of those supplied on the CD.
Also you can't do WPS with it, it's got a button to do it, but it doesn't do anything. I've enabled WPS on the router and pressed the button on the router and on the USB dongle and nothing happens! So it's just as well I can configure it manually. Wired connection performance is very good, so it should be I've got a brand new Duronics Cat 6a cable for it, just to be sure that there's no issues.
Just waiting now to see if after the REIN team have visited my street, I'll see an improvement in connection speed.
ajbrown1965
Grafter

I bought an 8800NL last week from EBuyer - didn't pay for delivery but it came next day all the same. I wanted it to replace my ageing Billion 7800N and BT Infinity modem. I ran the manual setup and the quick setup a few times. It found the DSL straight away but would not connect to the Internet. However a quick visit to Billion's own forum and I altered two settings; everything worked straight away. The router has only been on for 24 hours but so far all is fine. A very stable connection and if anything slightly faster on an FTTC line that was already running at 73/18! Only slight gripe is the wireless signal strength isn't brilliant. With the 7800N I used a strange Netgear box which replaced one of the aerials, and could log in from my neighbours house across the road! Unfortunately the 8800NL doesn't have external aerials so the booster is redundant. The wireless signal round the house is adequate, but I might get a booster that plugs in to the mains.
All in all I'm pleased with the new kit. The 7800N gave excellent service from my ADSL days through FTTC, so I hope the 8800NL is as good.
spiralarms

Fairly old news, but in case it helps anyone else. I've had a Billion BiPAC 8800NL for a year or so, with Plusnet ADSL at a lowly 3.5Mb/0.4Mb connection out in my village. However, yesterday I switched to fibre broadband, our BT cabinet having been upgraded a couple of weeks ago.

I tried the recommended settings as suggested on this and other sites, but though it would sync, and authorise, it just didn't seem to pass route any data.

Anyway, I noticed the firmware was a bit out of date 2.32d.dh14, so I upgraded to the latest version - 2.32e - (and did the recommended factory reset), and now things are working great. Perhaps it was the factory reset, or perhaps the updated firmware, but if you are having problems, perhaps try one or both of those.

I've attached a few screenshots. Now getting nearly 80/20Mb !

Cheers,

Neil