cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Billion BiPAC 8800NL users on fibre

NoZephy
Rising Star

Re: Billion BiPAC 8800NL users on fibre

Took the plunge and decided to buy one off eBuyer also.
Will post back with my experience of the router hooked up on a long, horribly slow ADSL line Tongue (I feel it'll come in handy at my new property though ;D)
mp9999
Dabbler

I've just bought the 8800NL too.
I got it as I needed to sort out NAT issues for online gaming which the standard plusnet router was not fixing with port forwarding.  I also wanted to restrict my kids use of the internet by time. The 8800NL has the option to set up multiple SSIDs with time scheduling.  Both my issues are fully resolved using the 8800NL so I'm very happy. Smiley
I am using it as a replacement for the openreach modem too - it seems silly having 2 items when 1 will do the same job.
Speeds direct with ethernet cable are very good.  Im on 80/20 fibre and getting 77/19 so cannot complain.
WiFi is poor though and the best I can get on speed tests are 38/19. This is in the same room as the router with no walls in the way. 
I would be interested to hear of other 8800NL users experience of wifi as I'm not sure if it the device may be faulty and need returning.  Thanks.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

I needed something that wasn't my old router to give me wifi on a separate subnet so I got one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Buffalo-Airstation-wireless-N-router-Extender-WHR-G300N-v2-NEW-SEALED-/311...
I still use it now although the 7800dx is great for wifi signal on both 5+2.4g, but solely for limiting access to the network storage for apple devices (because they mess up my ancient NAS box) been working great for the last 3 years
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Interesting thread guys, keep the info coming Smiley
nanotm
Pro

in many ways I wish I'd been able to hold off getting the 7800dx until billion had released their fibre modem routers not least of which being the loss of a wired port on the current router /
still no doubt in another few years I'll be investing in one of them when something goes wrong on this unit (hopefully it will last at least 5 years like its predecessor which was a 7800)
mp9999
Dabbler

Well, I've turned it off and on again  Wink
And I'm now getting some fab wifi speeds with the 8800NL...  68/19 !!!  Smiley
The only other thing I turned off was the nintendo wii but cannot see how that could have brought the wifi to a grinding halt.
Anyway, I'm sticking with it and hope it stays stable.
nanotm
Pro

depends on the speed from the wii antenna, wifi always adapts to the lowest performer, I cant comment on the wii's wifi capabilities since I never had one that wasn't wired /
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

One thing I noticed about the 8800NL, with wifi enabled my ping graph shows a spike every 2.5hours.  I checked my usage since last friday when I was away until last night and its normal, just ever 2.5hours there is a spike if wifi is on.  No attempts to connect to it with hidden SSID and mac filtering on while I was away, so not sure why but a heads up if you see odd TBB graphing with wifi on
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Bubbles
Grafter

Hello all
Sorry to jump in mid conversation, but I was looking to buy one of these modems to replace my TP link 8817.
I will be using it in bridge mode with an Asus router.
Anyone else have this set up ? I understand this is a very good unit, and even though I am close to the exchange, I want the more stable broadcom chipset rather than a trendchip.
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

I know nothing about bridge mode, but mine was synced quite happily for 12 odd days, before we had a power cut and has now been connected for coming up to another 4 days. I am very happy with it and the wireless speeds are good for me too.
Mark
nanotm
Pro

check the billion forums about using one in bridge mode, quite why you would want to utilise a lesser device as the primary is beyond me though
Bubbles
Grafter

I need to use the modem part of it, as my router does not have a modem built in Sad
nanotm
Pro

I get that, but if your swapping to an all in one why not just ditch the ASUS as well as the tplink ?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Because he likes his Asus  Roll_eyes
Bubbles
Grafter

The Asus has really good wireless, its more a problem of maintaining the sync stuff. I get loads of errors on my TP Link. I will test out the plusnet modem when it arrives.
Just adding, I have the Asus AC87-u, so a pretty nice router, just need a good modem to go with it Tongue
Thanks for the input though Smiley