Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Billion 7800N

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Billion 7800N

I had issues with my broadband this morning at around 10:30 with the DSL and Internet lights going out on my router.
I rebooted it with no success and thinking it might be a router problem I fetched down my trusty Netgear DG834G and plugged it in.
The broadband light on the Netgear flashed and paused, continuing to do this for about 5 minutes until eventually going solid green....a connection.
I logged it into my account with success.
I then put the 7800N back on line.....again no DSL or Internet lights so I rebooted it back to factory default and the DSL light went green. I logged it into my account and all is well. Undecided
The puzzle I have now is were some unhappy coincidences at work here and why did a factory reset enable a router to work when it worked fine before with virtually the same settings.
What particularly annoyed me was the complete absence of any DSL indicator on the 7800N when it was allegedly attempting to connect with the exchange...albeit failing in the attempt unlike the Netgear.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Billion 7800N

I recently changed from a Netgear DG834GT to a Billion 7800, and while trying to optimize the Billion's settings to get maximum throughput (MTU & QoS), I noticed that it really doesn't like configuration changes which are quickly followed by a reboot.
The Billion does seem to lose it's way after such changes, with the same symptoms (no DSL or internet lights), and I found that the only safe thing to do was a factory reset, and then set it up as required from scratch, after which it is exceedingly stable.
I was worried initially about it's reliability, but mine doesn't seem to have an issue if I don't continuously muck about with it.
@'Strat' - had you done ANY configuration changes prior to it going wrong ?
Strat
Community Veteran

That's the point, no I haven't and it was fine which is why I wondered about the factory reset which basically took out the login details and Wi-Fi set-up.
I will leave it alone though Lips_are_sealed
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are a few ideas here - http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1756452
It seems we are not alone with this problem !  Roll_eyes
Strat
Community Veteran

A firmware upgrade was the last change I made to the router but that was back in March.