cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to change router so DLM doesn't knock sync rate down?

markuswelby
Rising Star

Best way to change router so DLM doesn't knock sync rate down?

To cut a long story short, my Sync rate has fallen from a constant 80/20 for almost a year until April 2019, but has now gradually fallen to 62/20 now, going up and down in between, since last April.

I have another VDSL2 Zyxel all in one router/modem to try. I know their are some very knowledgeable folk on this forum which I am sure will be able to help / advise.

My questions are, whats the best way to change over from my old router to the new router without the DLM knocking my sync rate down any further?

Is it best to power the new one up in advance and swap the DSL leads quickly? Power the old one down, disconnect, wait while, connect the new one and power on a while later? If so how long? 

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Ubuntu-MATE 18.04.3 LTS (Bionic Beaver) 64-bit
18 REPLIES 18
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,513

Re: Best way to change router so DLM doesn't knock sync rate down?

Hi @markuswelby firstly welcome to our community forums and thanks for getting in touch. 

I think whatever you do you're inevitably going to drop sync, but when you resync you'll hopefully be at the same or a higher speed. As long as you don't cause multiple disconnections in a short space of time, you shouldn't disturb DLM too much. How you do it shouldn't really make a difference in my opinion.

Let us know how it goes once you've got your new router setup and good luck!

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role within Plusnet.
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet
markuswelby
Rising Star

Hi @Gandalf , thank you for the welcome and your reply. 

I will just have to try the new router and see how it goes I guess.

What worries me is, that about a month ago, the sync went up from 64/20 to 70/20 but after a power cut for a few hours ( the first one for years), when the power returned it dropped to 62/20.

Also checking my router logs regularly since April and until now, there have been almost no disconnects in that time. very few in months.

Many thanks again.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @markuswelby 

It sounds like there may be more going on here which while hopefully your new router will fix things, I'd like to check things out our side but I'm unable to find your account from the details on your forum profile.

Could you PM me your account username?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role within Plusnet.
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet
louiswood
Dabbler

i have one of these on my modem just in case there is ever a powercut

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07R1VC5C1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mini UPS Uninterruptable Power Supply System with POE Current Transfer Function, AC 100V/240V Input 2200mAH DC Power Bank with LED Indicator for Webcam/CCTV Camera/Wrieless Router/VOIP

markuswelby
Rising Star

@Gandalf wrote:

Thanks for getting back to us @markuswelby 

It sounds like there may be more going on here which while hopefully your new router will fix things, I'd like to check things out our side but I'm unable to find your account from the details on your forum profile.

Could you PM me your account username?

Many thanks for your offer of assistance, but I'm not a plusnet customer. I used to be about 5 years ago and I can always remember this forum had some very knowledgeable people on it, so that's why I have returned here to ask my question.

markuswelby
Rising Star

@louiswood wrote:

i have one of these on my modem just in case there is ever a powercut

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07R1VC5C1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mini UPS Uninterruptable Power Supply System with POE Current Transfer Function, AC 100V/240V Input 2200mAH DC Power Bank with LED Indicator for Webcam/CCTV Camera/Wrieless Router/VOIP

Many thanks for the info. I'll look into that and may get one.Wink

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem @markuswelby cheers for coming back to us and thanks for the kind words. We’re always happy to help.

I’ve asked the mods to move your thread to the Tech Help board as it’s not directly related to a Plusnet service. Just keeps things organised and avoids a bit of confusion.

Feel free to let us know how it goes and/or if you need any further help. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet
dvorak
Fixes: 1,459

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to Tech Help as OP isn't a PN customer.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dvorak
Fixes: 1,459

Pretty sure Vodafone have a forum too Roll_eyes
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
markuswelby
Rising Star

They do indeed. But I get more sense out of my pet cat Smiley

Moderators Note: Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules

markuswelby
Rising Star

Many thanks again @Gandalf ....

Both my 3rd party modem/routers say Vectoring is not enabled....

Would anyone know if this could be the problem for the issue I have?

I assume this has to be enabled in profile by isp?

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You might be interested in some long-term speed results October 2018 - September 2019 and counting.

They indicate two portions where speed fell from 70Mb/sec to 30Mb/sec literally overnight.

Resolution required weeks of Plusnet/BT activity with no apparent reason for the fix.

I replaced the old modem/router with a new one in February 2019.

Background speed tests were run every 2 hours whilst my main PC was switched on:-

my-speed.png

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

markuswelby
Rising Star

That is very interesting @VileReynard ... I assume your downstream sync speed dropped to 30-ish Mbit/sec when that happened too?

I'm always concerned that openreach engineers have done something locally while carrying out work for a new installation for one of my neighbours or something.

Twice they screwed up my neighbours broadband big time while carrying out new installations for another different neighbour

Once they connected one neighbours perfectly good working telephone line in series with someone else's telephone line. Both the phone line & broadband worked intermittently. 

And another, when they installed my superfast 2 broadband, they connected that to another neighbours telephone line. When i phoned my isp when I had no broadband on the activation date, they could see my neighbours modem on their system. My neighbour lost their broadband for a week when that happened.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Yes, the downstream sync rates fell. I've always had sync rates slightly higher than data rates. On both occasions the sudden drop occurred at approximately midnight (I keep the detailed stats). So no physical intervention occurred locally.

I don't think BT work nights. Smiley

AFAIK I disconnected the old router, waited an hour & plugged the new one in and suffered no losses. I've no way of knowing whether this was necessary - perhaps a suitable incantation would have been equally good.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."