cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best free security package for a netbook?

davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Best free security package for a netbook?

Bought my OH a net book for Xmas.Came with a free trial of Trend Micro's suite,which is coming to an end.
Anyone got experience of running MS Security Essentials on an XP netbook?? It only has 1GB of RAM.
11 REPLIES 11
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Best free security package for a netbook?

run AVG on SHMBO no trouble
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Microsoft Security Essentials runs very well on old XP computers with 512M of RAM (whereas the current version of AVG often doesn't).  So it should be fine on your Netbook. 
davidj66
Aspiring Pro

Ta for replies - think I'll give MS Secrity Essentials a try when the free period is over. Wink
pierre_pierre
Grafter

MS Security Essentials on an XP netbook

thought you got the poor SWMBO a Win 7  one  Tongue Tongue
Not applicable

Yes, MSE would be good as it is very lightweight and doesn't seem to need much RAM. Remember though that it does not have an email checker (there is the argument that this isn't needed anyway) and also it does not have a URL checker but again this is not a problem so long as the system and browser are up to date.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,91088.0.html/
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Avast. It's running on my 1.5GHz, 1Gb Toshiba netbook with no problems at all.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
davidj66
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for that - I've actually downloaded Avast because for some reason I can't get on the MS site from my network. Got me scratching my head furiously! Embarrassed
PS Windows7 netbooks are,in general, £60 more than XP equivalent.Got to save a penny or two!!!
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Yep, I'll second that.
Mine is XP and I got it last year for about £50 cheaper than the then price of a XP netbook which was at the time about £230ish. Initially I bought it for £195 from an outlet as a refurb but after discovering they'd sold it as having an onboard 56k modem (which it didn't) and putting this to them they gave me back another £20 to get a 3G dongle bringing down the cost to just £175 Cool
It helps to be addicted to the camera on your mobile Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: davidj60
for some reason I can't get on the MS site from my network.

Some viruses will block access to Microsoft to prevent you downloading the Windows Update designed to get rid of the virus.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

MS SE should work well on the netbook. Remember to fully uninstall trend as it has a habit of remaining active even when the trial period expires causing problems if you have 2 packages doing the same thing.
davidj66
Aspiring Pro

Uninstalled Trend Micro s/ware and have got MS Sec. Essentials running OK. Smiley
As to the inability to get on MS site - its a wierd one - no prob. downloading updates on any of my PCs but I still can't open www.microsoft.com/addresses!!Had to download the installer from third party site.
I actually had these problems a while ago with this old Buffalo router I'm using - the problem went away with the free DLink router I got from Plunet but as that has blown up after 2 years I'm back with the archaic Buffalo.