Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best business laptop

henderson1977
Grafter

Best business laptop

Hi all
We have been buying Dell Latitude laptops for our laptop users (about 1000) for the past few years.  They have been ok but felt severely let down by the poor performance of the D420/D430 models due to, among other things, the slow 1.2Ghz Core 2 Duo CPUs, which is far inferior to the 2Ghz single core CPU in the predecessor (D410).
Our supplier have notified us that we can continue to order D-series laptops or try the E-series laptops instead.  So after a quick comparison, we much prefer the E-series specs, particularly the Dell Latitude E4300 which has Core 2 Duo 2.26Ghz CPU and 7200RPM hard drive options so performance will be superior.  The only snag is the lack of compatibility between the D-series and E-series docking stations and/or port replicators, so we would have to spend more money on compatible docking stations and/or port replicators.
We will research business laptops from other manufacturers such as Lenovo, HP, etc... and hope to find cross-compatible docking stations and/or port replicators to keep costs down.  In the meantime, we were wondering...
What are others' views on the best business laptop or the best manufacturer of business laptops please?
Thanks
Scott
6 REPLIES 6
Not applicable

Re: Best business laptop

Did you check out the Dell Vostro series, which are specifically for business use?
I have the 1700 myself although I don't use it for business. It is very robust but not sure if the specs would suit you.
henderson1977
Grafter

Hi poppy - thanks for your reply and I'll look into the Dell Vostro series as you suggest.
I am comparing business laptop offerings from Lenovo, HP, Sony, Dell and Toshiba at the moment.  So far, the Lenovo ThinkPad SL500 and Sony VGN-SR29XN/S look pretty decent on performance and portability but never used them before so unsure of their support, drivers, upgradabilitiy/future-compatibility, etc...
Other opinions welcome.
Cheers
Scott
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I bought an HP laptop last year.  It was a multi media centre not a business machine.  I have been very impressed with the back-up from HP and can certainly recommend them.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

I like the Vaio's - might be worth having a look at the B series such as the VGN-BZ12XN.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
James
Grafter

My work Vaio *literally* fell apart.
The screen actually separated from the body.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

But what do you expect throwing it down the stairs?  Roll_eyes
I used to love the Toshiba Tecra's, they could take some punishment, my old one flew off the back of a routemaster and survived.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'