cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best IDE for Linux?

Thunderclap
Grafter

Best IDE for Linux?

As a Linux newbie, do you Linux Jedi have any options on what is the best IDE / Development 'Studio' for use in a Linux environment. I hear Eclipse is pretty flexible, but are there any other decident and productive IDE's out there? I am looking for an IDE that covers C++, Java and possibly, Arduino Sketches. Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2
kmilburn
Grafter

Re: Best IDE for Linux?

If you want the same environment for each of those choices, then Eclipse is probably the best choice.
Given the way it works,  it would be ideal to use different builds/installs for each, primarily so each environment only has those plugin it requires.  However,  you could use a single install with all the plugins, and hope they play nice!
I current have the to following builds installed.
    Eclipse for RCP and RAP,  which is used to develop an RCP based program for work.
    Eclipse Standard with the Android SDK and ADT
    Eclipse IDE for C/C++ with the Arduino plugin (which currently also requires the standard Arduino IDE).
Another good option for C/C++ and various other languages is KDevelop.  While it originally started life as the IDE for KDE, it's expanded to support other languages and environments.
Thunderclap
Grafter

Re: Best IDE for Linux?

kmilburn many thanks for that
I'll check out KDevelop, but I think I will be using the per-build Eclipse route.