cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Belkin Modem/router

artmo
Aspiring Champion

Belkin Modem/router

Advice needed please.  I want to use my new laptop wirelessly around the house as well as connect my existing PC wired.  I have seen the following on ebay and wonder if this will do the job for me as well as protect me security wise.
http://tinyurl.com/cr2kyq
Thanks for any input.
6 REPLIES 6
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Belkin Modem/router

Yes - it is a 4 port Wireless modem/router.
However, if you are prepared to commit to a one year contract with PlusNet,
they will send you a similar device for the price of P&P (about £7)
Check the kind of contract you have though.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I think its one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Micradigital-Wireless-802-11g-F5D7630uk4A/dp/B000VOO1AA/ref=pd_cp_ce_...
Its quite an old modem router, and its only ADSL compliant, it will not support ADSL/2 for the future.
Its a Belkin F5D7630 in a different box, I used to have one and TBH it worked ok but got VERY hot! ( egg frying job almost ).
axisofevil's suggestion is a good one providing you dont mind committing to a 12 month contact , the plusnet supplied  router ( Thomson TG585 ) is a much better router.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

artmo
Aspiring Champion

Thanks for the suggestion guys.  My present modem is a BT Voyager 210 which I got from PN about 17 months ago.  This week I have signed up to their £3 off deal with a new 12 month contract on option 2.  They haven't offered a modem/router.  Do you know if this is offered on the new sign-up?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Anyone can get a basically free modem at any time, if they have the right contract (as you have).
I know I did.
It's certainly worth a try to ask for one - they don't seem to offer modems (you have to ask for them)  Cheesy
They might refuse, because of the £3 thing - but it's worth the cost of raising a ticket.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

portfolio
Dabbler

I bought one of these Belkin F5D7630 s - can anyone tell me if the ADSL  light should be on when attached to the ADSL line whether attached to computer or not please ?  Belkin help has been excellent but the firmware upgrade refuses to install "file too big" and if as I believe that light should be on then there is no need to get bogged down in the niceties of configuration problems.  At present the ADSL light flickers sporadically as if trying for a signal.  My old Plusnet supplied Fujitsu is working perfectly well on the same connection - I just fancied wirelsess throughout the house - as did Mrs. Me ! Cheers
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The only light that should be affected by computer on or off is one associated with a wired connection (Ethernet) port, and the wireless light should flicker if data is being transferred to/from a computer connected over wireless (with some models of Belkin router the wireless light flickers continuously as a "design feature").
The ADSL light should be steady once sync with the exchange is achieved. Then the Internet light should flash and become steady after successful login to Plusnet.
Have you tried reseting the router to factory defaults after the failed firmware update?
David