cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being spammed by hotelsclick.com

newinvention
Grafter

Being spammed by hotelsclick.com

I used hotelsclick.com to book a hotel last year. Big, big mistake!!
They're now sending me weekly newsletters with offers etc that I'm not interested in. I have tried to unsubscribe from the newsletter, using the unsubscribe feature on the bottom of the email - emails kept coming.
I've also been in email conversation with 2 hotelsclick people who've told me I'll be taken off the list. The wretched things are still coming through. I've tried around 10 times to get off and am now very brassed off.
What can I do to ensure my name gets taken off? Next time I will not use my main email address for this sort of sign up. The company is based in Italy and I don't really want to spend money phoning them up, but will do if I need to.
Any ideas, straightforward, creative or otherwise? Can I post their name to a spam website?
10 REPLIES 10
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Re: Being spammed by hotelsclick.com

What can I do to ensure my name gets taken off? Next time I will not use my main email address for this sort

A tip , next time you register on a new website, create an 'alias' specifically for that site e.g hotelsclick and route it to one of your existing email accounts. Then if ( when ) you start to get spam you can just delete the alias... and as long as you dont have the 'catchall' on the mail will get junked.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

newinvention
Grafter

Thanks Mr W - I'm not very technical! How do I route the new address to my email? Do you mean create a new mailbox that I can then delete when spammed?
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Can you log into their site?  Is there anything on there to select to unsubscribe, or can you change the email address they have listed for you to an address you can blackhole or bounce?
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Is this Plusnet email?  If so, when creating a new email address in the portal, you have the option to have it send it's mail to another mailbox (it's called an alias).  If/when you have finished with that company and they are still emailling you after being asked not to, or spammers have that address, you can just delete it and you will no longer receive email to that address.
Phil

artificer
Grafter

there are outfits that offer 'throwaway' addresses, such as spamgourmet.com.  choose a username, then with each signup, you specify how many emails it's allowed to send.  for example:
hotelsclick.7.username@spamgourmet
would allow no more than 7 emails to get through.  useful for those sites where you aren't sure you'll want to return.
newinvention
Grafter

Thanks for all your replies - which will be useful for next time ...
Quote from: pjmarsh
Can you log into their site?  Is there anything on there to select to unsubscribe, or can you change the email address they have listed for you to an address you can blackhole or bounce?
Phil

Hi Phil - I didn't register with the site to book the hotel, so don't think I have a user/log in name to use. I have tried the unsubscribe facility on the bottom of their persistent emails, which takes me to a page on their site which tells me I've unsubscribed - but of course, I haven't cos the emails keep coming.  Angry
I'll def set up a mailbox next time, but it's a bit of a pain. Actually, it's not a plusnet addy I'm having a problem with this time, tho the principle is still the same.
Any other ideas for getting the current emails stopped?
Is there a name and sham spam site I can post them to?
Maybe I'll have to write a snailmail letter to the MD ..
newinvention
Grafter

Quote from: newinvention
Thanks for all your replies - which will be useful for next time ...
Quote from: pjmarsh
Phil

Hi Phil - I didn't register with the site to book the hotel, so don't think I have a user/log in name to use. I have tried the unsubscribe facility on the bottom of their persistent emails, which takes me to a page on their site which tells me I've unsubscribed - but of course, I haven't cos the emails keep coming.  Angry
I'll def set up a mailbox next time, but it's a bit of a pain. Actually, it's not a plusnet addy I'm having a problem with this time, tho the principle is still the same.
Any other ideas for getting the current emails stopped?
Is there a name and shame spam site I can post them to?
Maybe I'll have to write a snailmail letter to the MD ..
Not applicable

If they are all from the same e-mail address can you not block the sender in your e-mail client?
Alternatively, go into the member centre/e-mail settings/spam tab and scroll down to the bottom - there is a blacklist section there in which you could put the e-mail address.
As has been said, the best thing is to use either a throwaway address or an alias.
Both take a bit of thinking about before signing up for such things. With the alias, you set it up in e-mail settings and it is activated immediately. The only thing to be wary of is that you don't send them an e-mail with your default address (easy to do).
If you need to communicate with them via your own e-mail client, set up an account with the alias in it and select it in Compose.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Contact them and tell them that they have two weeks to remove your contact details from their database or you will report them to the Information Commissioner
http://www.ico.gov.uk/Home/what_we_cover/privacy_and_electronic_communications.aspx
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

trouble is its not UK

Call Center Hours:
9am-7pm (GMT+1)
Sat: 9am-1pm (GMT+1)

Call Centre
0039 064076393
HotelsClick SRL
Via Palmiro Togliatti, 1613 - 00155 Rome, Italy