Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bedtime

the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Bedtime

I usually Standby so the machine is up and running quickly in the morning. It occassionally requires a restart as it gets a bit confused with the wireless network. Environmentally shutting down is looking attractive.
What do you do?
12 REPLIES 12
James
Grafter

Re: Bedtime

I'll invariably switch my computer off over night unless I'm downloading something, which doesn't happen that often.
petlew
Pro

Shut down the PC from Windows shutdown procedure, but don't switch off/unplug mains connections but, leave the DSL router on (I guess that's standby) partly as there's no straight forward way of switching it off other than disconnecting the power lead, which in my setup is a bit of a pain, but I could do it if REALLY required.
Noted that Ethernet connection on back of PC continues to flash, so I guess I'm not REALLY shutting down?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

All my main PCs run 24/7 because it improves their reliability. Frequently shutting down and starting up reduces the life of the PC and things can go pop sooner than you expect. The biggest impact is on the hard disks and PSU during startup.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Both my PCs are on constantly unless they get cranky and need rebooting - doesn't happen that often unless I'm messing about, and then it's all the blooming time. Just waiting for a larger case for the media PC then I can put the radeon AIW in and start recording TV, then that'll be on constantly as well, regardless of what my girlfriend thinks about it.
petlew
Pro

Just as a related aside to this. When I was working as an office whalla some years ago, the department that looked after the electricity bill "demanded" that all the companies PC's were shutdown after work, since the vast majority were left in screen saver/password mode over night. IT department complained bitterly that, this was causing some serious headaches, their call out rate jumped up dramatically when the policy was instigated. The argument was rumbling on as I left the company, so I'm sorry I don't know the outcome. But I do pass the offices occasionally, and have noticed faint glows through the windows.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
holdtight
Grafter

I always hibernate my systems at the end of the day unless im so tired i forget  Roll_eyes
I do shutdown and restart as a matter of course when they have been hibernated for about a week or when i have updates
brad
Grafter

I always turn my laptop off now at night. Saves energy and electricity plus I don't download anything so no need to leave it on!
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Home PC is on 24/7 pretty much. Work laptop is off every night.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
petlew
Pro

Ok! let's open another can of related worms:
Laptops only
Do you, a) leave the power supply permanently plugged in (as my wife and I do with ours) thereby reportedly, potentially shortening the life of the battery?
Or, b) unplug at full charge, and use until the low power warning pops up?
Or, c) use as a) above but, unplug at night?
Or, d) use as b) above and recharge overnight?

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: James_H
I know of several large multinational companies who insist computers are left on 24/7.
The "shut down" option is disabled through GP, with only log off and restart being the available options.

My home PC is turned off. but not unplugged when I don't use it. I know of people at work who access their home PC's at work over Remote Desktop and their ADSL connection, but it's not something I am that fussed about doing really.
Work PCs are always left on, mainly because we often have to VPN and Remote Desktop into them out of hours. Say for example we'll kick a build off and do a release overnight, so it's ready for the morning.
Quote from: James_H
The "shut down" option is disabled through GP, with only log off and restart being the available options.

Glad I have to have local admin access to my PC as I am a developer, hate those silly group policy options. That one is pretty pointless though cos if I wanted to shut it down I'd pull out the power cable Smiley
God
Grafter

It varies for me according to what I am doing, which box it is and the weather!
I hate standby, on my XP box it doesn’t appear to shut that much down, it certainly leaves all the fans going, so a little pointless. Hibernate is good for XP. I often turn the box off but less so in winter, when it gets to frost and the like outside I leave the PC running to avoid big temperature swings.
On the Vista box I have to say that hybrid sleep is quite stunning. No fans running seems dead, press the on button and you are where you left it in *TWO*seconds.
TheSpecialOne

I always shut down my laptop, but I leave the router on 24/7.