Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Be careful about Airdrop

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Be careful about Airdrop

From the Times (paywalled) http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/crime/article4526840.ece
Transport police have recorded their first incidence of “cyber-flashing” after a woman was sent explicit images on her phone by an individual a few feet away.
Lorraine Crighton-Smith, 34, was travelling on a train in south London when pictures of an unknown man’s penis appeared on her screen.
The suspected cyber-flasher sent the images using Airdrop, a file-sharing function on iPhones and Mac computers. Airdrop uses wi-fi and Bluetooth wireless connections to transmit data over distances up to about 30ft.
Ms Crighton-Smith reported the incident to British Transport Police, which confirmed it to be the first reported crime of its kind.
“I felt violated, it was a very unpleasant thing to have forced upon my screen,” Ms Crighton-Smith told the BBC’s Victoria Derbyshire programme. “I was also worried about who else might have been a recipient, it might have been a child, someone more vulnerable than me. The images were of a sexual nature and it was distressing.”
Ms Crighton-Smith said she declined the image that the suspect sent to her, but another appeared almost immediately afterwards. “I realised someone nearby must be sending them, and that concerned me,” she said.
The suspected cyber-flasher was able to send the images to Ms Crighton-Smith’s phone because she had inadvertently left the Airdrop function switched on. This would have allowed a nearby individual using Airdrop to detect that her phone was available to receive photos or other files.