cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery-operated Modem

desrosiers
Hooked

Battery-operated Modem

I would like to buy a Ring battery-operated camera which requires a battery-operated modem due to distance from the one in my home.  The position it will go in has no electrical source.  I rang PlusNet helpline but the operator was unable to help me even though he asked his supervisor.  Naturally I need compatibility with PlusNet.  Please could someone advise me?  🙏 Francis 

17 REPLIES 17
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Battery-operated Modem

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Community Site Feedback to Tech Help.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

A mobile has a battery operated camera and effectively includes a battery powered modem (Wifi). 😀

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Anonymous
Not applicable

All of the Ring product I see use Wireless so is there nothing that fit your needs? If the distance is that great that there is no signal then you may want to consideration to another approach.

desrosiers
Hooked

I use and trust Ring, which is why I would like to use their recommendation of a battery modem, HOWEVER they are unable to give me the name of a PlusNet compatible one.  I appreciate this may be a novel request so very much hope you have a solution.  With regards, Francis 

desrosiers
Hooked

Thanks for replying.  True Re mobile use but I would have to leave it in situ to capture the live photos.  Or buy another mobile... isn’t the battery-operated modem suggested the more efficient and cheaper option?

desrosiers
Hooked

And it’s a motion detection camera I need

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

If you can accept delayed capture, then a SD card connected to your camera is much less greedy in batteries...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

desrosiers
Hooked

Thanks, I’ll ask Ring if this is possible 

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@desrosiers wrote:

I use and trust Ring 

You realise they were caught with their trousers down recently? They've been selling access to peoples doorbells etc to the security services. Yes, that's right, the feds can view your camera without any consent from you because Ring took a bribe.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Anonymous
Not applicable

@7up Have you got a link to this please?

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@desrosiers wrote:

I would like to buy a Ring battery-operated camera which requires a battery-operated modem due to distance from the one in my home.  The position it will go in has no electrical source.

My understanding was that Ring doorbells connect to the wifi signal in your house. If the wifi signal doesn't reach to where the doorbell is going, wouldn't a wifi extender at the nearest power source work in it's place?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
desrosiers
Hooked

Hopefully they learned their lesson.  Tell me what floats your boat and I’ll give you some suggestions on a new name

desrosiers
Hooked

Unfortunately there is no nearer power source... nuisance but no cost-effective way round it

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

There's no power in a nearby room, or even just closer than the router currently is? A battery powered modem isn't something I've heard of TBH.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.