Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic question

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Basic question

My elderly (but not that old) desktop PC is hardly used in favour of my laptops, and was used largely to continue certain online account payments and online banking over many years, these have now been moved to the laptops.
What I would like to do is completely start again with the desktop by reformatting the C drive and reinstalling Win7. However, when new the machine was delivered with Vista thence upgraded to Win 7.
Will I therefore have to reinstall Vista (from the D drive) and then upgrade it again? Or, can I get a clean install of Win 7 from the upgrade disc (single licence version) without Vista first. Since I have no particular use for Vista (or liking) can I remove it altogether and merge the C and D drives using nothing more then the Win 7 upgrade disc. Or is this approach doomed to failure?
The object of the exercise being to use the desktop PC for a single purpose (bowls club activities) possibly accessing it via the home network and removing its monitor from use.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
2 REPLIES 2
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Basic question

You can do a fresh install using just the Windows 7 disk
I used the double install method - just Google it
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Basic question

Thanks Jim, I'll give that a go.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.