Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic Q re: network set-up

aphemia
Dabbler

Basic Q re: network set-up

Hi all
Something has gone wrong with my network set-up.  I have a very simple set-up:  Wireless Router connected via wi-fi to Laptop and XBox360.
However, currently I can only connect to the router with one device at a time.  So, if I'm playing on the XBox and my wife fires up the laptop I lose connection all together on the XBox.  The only way to reconnect the XBox is to turn the laptop off.
Any idea what setting I've inadvertently changed?  It used to work just fine!
thanks
Rich
5 REPLIES 5
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Basic Q re: network set-up

Are you using DHCP on the network?
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
aphemia
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply
Embarrasingly, I don't know what DHCP is. 
Wikipedia has given me a bit of an overview - but what specifically do I need to do or change to figure this out?
Sorry for not knowing  Embarrassed
rich
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

What router do you have?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Lurker
Grafter

Quote from: aphemia
Embarrasingly, I don't know what DHCP is. 

I wouldn't be embarrassed - I've met numerous IT staff who have no idea what it is - your overview has already put you ahead of them in the knowledge stakes!

Essentially, as you have read, DHCP is what allows your router to automatically configure elements of your client machine connection (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol)
The issue might well be that your router is automatically issuing an address to one machine, which another machine has manually been configured to use.
Because each IP address needs to be unique on a network, this is the most likely cause of your issue.
The next steps are to alter your config slightly to prevent this from happening again.
As Adie says - tell us your router make/model, and we can help you out with changing the settings appropriately. Smiley
aphemia
Dabbler

Thanks guys
Sorry for the delay.  I'm just getting round to this!
Router is Netgear DGN2000.
By the way, I get the same problem in reverse.  If I'm on the laptop and then fire up the xBox, the laptop disconnects!