Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barely Legal

AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Barely Legal

Here's a dilemma, I got two Time PC's second hand from my brother which I intend to use 1 for work and 1 for my M's dad, Both have been preinstalled with xp home with the Genuine stickers still on the case. Although I am changing the cases the rest of the hardware is as is out of shop. My problem is the the reload disc's, one is missing the other will not run due to damage, well I think so anyway it doesn't show up when put in any machine.
The only windows available to me is my xp pro disk and a friends xp home OEM, the home I have installed on one machine to see if I could change the key to a legitimate one but unfortunately the windows key changer will not accept volume licences on an OEM disk  Sad
I know what your thinking just get a hack or a corporate off some torrent site but seems odd to me theres no easy way to do this  Huh
At the end of the day I have two machines here with legit keys and would like to stay this side of legal even though it would probably be easier not two.  Roll_eyes
Any suggestions or has anybody successfully got round this?
22 REPLIES 22
samuria
Grafter

Re: Barely Legal

It wont work as the key has to be for the right version ie home, Pro or corporate.  You are trying to get a home key to work with a corporate version which is like buying a mini and then claiming ownership of a BMW. The only way to get it to work is to use a XP Home edition and it must be the same type as the key. So i fits a XP home OEM you need a OEM disk if its retail you need a retail disk.
You could get onto Time and ask for a new disk, Borrow a disk of the right type download a version from the net and use your genuine key
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Not sure what you mean with the BMW bit m8  Huh The version I installed was just plain OEM home off my friends and the legit keys are from xp home so I guess I'm not getting more than what I paid for.
Time went bust as you'll probably and have started up again but as there site doesn't even have a support or driver section I don't fancy my chances at getting a reload disk for 4 year old technology.
Borrow a disk of the right type download a version from the net and use your genuine key

Which version would I need to be able to change to my legit keys after install?
artificer
Grafter

consider linux.  there are livecds you can try to see how you get on before you install and there's a huge variety to choose from.  it ain't near as hard as it's made out to make the switch.  not only will you be 100% legal, your machines will run faster, longer.
Njal
Grafter

Try phoning MS support and explain the problem?
Your friend's disk would probably install on one of the machines if you use his key. I think MS only keep the data on installation for about 30 days.
Regards,
Neil
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Pretty much any OEM disk of the right sort (i.e. XP Home if that's the license label) will work but you will have to enter the key and probably activate it. If an OEM disk is used on the "right" hardware it often skips one or both of those steps.
The activations may well work fine over t'interweb, if not you just phone MS (free, the number is shown) and explain you're reinstalling.
After a couple of questions they'll OK it. Had to do it (legitimately) several times.
(you'll need to note and enter a very long sequence, so be prepared with pen & paper as backup)
techguy
Grafter

I think this is the reason why MS built Vista in the way they did so that all editions were present but the key determined what was unlocked, which does make sense when you are in this situation as well as them being able to include the upgrade anytime icon in Control Panel which is really there to say 'didn't you want ultimate with all the bells and whistles?'
I'd be inclined to ring MS and see if they will send replacement disks as you have two legit licence keys
Not applicable

This is a timely thread for me because I have been checking on eBay for a legal and legitimate copy of XP Home or Professional to put on a friend's computer.
I note that they are so much cheaper than on Amazon. If I get one, please could someone point me in the right direction to ensure safe purchase? Hope that AWB doesn't mind my asking on his thread but it is relevent and I know very little about it. Don't want to buy one and then find I am not allowed to use it.
Be3G
Grafter

For what it's worth, I have seen copies of Windows on sale labelled 'media only', which I presume means they come without a key and, therefore, their own licence, thus enabling an already-owned key and licence to be used.
HPsauce
Pro

Genuine OEM versions are for system builders and are cheaper as among other things there's little or no support, certainly none for the end-user. I believe they're only licensed for new-build systems but it's legitimate for anyone to buy and use them, you don't have to be accredited to Microsoft in any way.
They obviously come with a key and how do you define a "new" system?  Roll_eyes
techguy
Grafter

Why spend money if you don't have to which was my point.
All support for OEM versions is supposed to be provided by the system builder (unless you buy a popular brand of home PC where you are left at the mercy of the staff in the only consumer highstreet PC dealer whose name escapes me at the moment)  Smiley
HPsauce
Pro

It's getting confusing - simultaneous posting  Crazy
I was referring poppy to the OEM versions.
techguy
Grafter

No hope for me then  Crazy
Not applicable

Thank you for the replies - HP I feel a PM is called for - will you check yours please?
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: AverageWhiteBloke
Here's a dilemma, I got two Time PC's second hand from my brother which I intend to use 1 for work and 1 for my M's dad, Both have been preinstalled with xp home with the Genuine stickers still on the case. Although I am changing the cases the rest of the hardware is as is out of shop. My problem is the the reload disc's, one is missing the other will not run due to damage, well I think so anyway it doesn't show up when put in any machine.
Any suggestions or has anybody successfully got round this?

Have a look here for a supplier: http://www.gennersales.co.uk/recovery/Time.htm