cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad vibes!

chuffchuff
Rising Star

Bad vibes!

Any suggestions please as to how to stop my base unit vibrating?
It is on a (laminate) floor and sometimes it vibrates really badly.
I've looked at propriety brands of vibrations mats but I really want something relatively
inexpensive and effective.
Thanks.
13 REPLIES 13
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Bad vibes!

I use a piece of 1" thick foam put underneath the unit. Stops most of the noise.
The denser the better as long as it doesn't compress as much.
TORPC
Grafter

Is this from new or recently started happening
In either case (no pun intended)
Check the fans are not on their way out 7 are firmly fixed in place, & make sure the HDD(s) are srewed down tight, If they are all ok then as HMcB suggests should work fine
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would fix the cause of the vibration, rather than trying to suppress the noise from the case.

For example, if the cause of the vibration is a fan, then try using rubber fan mounts as a set of four will only cost you £1 to £2  Wink
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

With mine it was a combo of the psu fan, cooling cpu fan and a hdd that was ratting about in use (just a noisy hdd rather than loose) the foam stopped the noise from being broadcast downstairs.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

sounds like the fans will be causing it, grab a set of anti vibe feet for the case (rubber stick on things) if you cant identify which fan is causing the problem (sometimes the cases are just not heavy enough to compensate for the movement of the fan at full speed) again there only a few quid for a pack of 4
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
CX
Grafter

In my experience heavy vibration that can be felt outside of the case (i.e. transferred to flooring) is almost always the hard drive.
This product is the best solution to that (unless you fancy a DIY method):
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sharkoon-Hdd-Vibe-Fixer-Enclosure-Decoupling-Drives/dp/B000FLR8PE/
Don't be tempted by the things with the rubber screws such as the one by Scythe - they are inadequate for a typical 2-3 platter 7200RPM drive. The Sharkoon HDD Vibe Fixer is equivalent to the NoVibes III, and it does work very well.
Fans tend to excite side panels, slot covers etc on the case itself, but lack the mass to usually cause problems further away (unless the case is one of those flimsy finger-cutting "£12 including a 500W PSU" types).
picbits
Rising Star

Get some pipe foam lagging, slice it in half lengthways then put under the base of the PC.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another cheap trick to try on fans that cause case resonance, is to install a variable speed fan controller, and then slightly reduce the fan speed to a frequency that no longer rattles the PC case.
The Zalman FANMATE 2 Variable Fan Speed Controller works well and only costs a couple of quid.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

TBH fans are liable to build up of Fluff or Dust causing them to be  out of balance, try to clean or blow compressed air to clear off first .
Its free  Wink
out of balance fans  make noise
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: rongtw
TBH fans are liable to build up of Fluff or Dust causing them to be  out of balance, try to clean or blow compressed air to clear off first .

Yes, first thing to check is whether fans are dirty, if so clean them.  If vibration persists then it may be Hard Discs or fans that were out of balance from new..
I'd suggest cleaning fans with a cotton-bud rather than compressed air but @rongtw gets my vote for 'best thing to try first'
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Look guys come on... there is a really easy way of doing this without hunting round the house for various soft materials etc and it's completely free  Cool
Just follow the 7up method: Take out all the components from the PC case. Wire them up outside the PC case on your desk / floor / other non conductive material. Turn on and use as normal while disposing of the metal case that was annoying you for so long. Job done.. the 7up way  Cheesy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Tighten your nuts.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: 77
Quote from: rongtw

Yes, first thing to check is whether fans are dirty, if so clean them.  If vibration persists then it may be Hard Discs or fans that were out of balance from new..
I'd suggest cleaning fans with a cotton-bud rather than compressed air but @rongtw gets my vote for 'best thing to try first'

Not a good idea if you have children or animals especially wandering cats or sniffing dogs Grin