cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad Web Host - Rant

mentalist3d
Grafter

Bad Web Host - Rant

I've been with a webhost for around 6 years and found them to be a really good company to deal with. I very rarely had any issues, but in the past year I noticed many changes to their site and actual quality of service. I also started using more advanced scripts (Open Source solutions) which required MySQL databases and then I noticed performance issues, including Invalid Hostnames, CGI Timeout, and loads more. Although these issues, I took in my stride, notifying support, receiving a copy & paste answer (sometimes not relating to my query), I was still developing the site and was overall okay, as the problems would come and go, and didn't have to much effect.
Then to my surprise, I received a bill for a service I never purchased costing £17, the service was MatrixStats which I never used or purchased as I was running an Open Source script (PHPMyVisites) , which I had used for the last year, so no need for their stats. They argued I had ordered it and it was being renewed (even though it isn't on the original invoice for the hosting package), I argued my case, they said someone must have accessed my account without my knowledge and ordered the service. So under their terms and conditions if the service had never been used, and I tell them to cancel it, I will get the refund. So cancelled Matrix Stats, and they still took the payment, saying I didn't have a contract with them because I didn't agree to their T&C, WTF?!?!?
So argued with them a bit more, saying I must have a contract with them, to even be able to be hosted with them, as you agree on the T&C before you can register, They reply, it was a typo?!? and I still wasn't getting a refund. Their support system was abysmal and I got fed up running in circles and questions not getting answered, I cut my losses, vowing that I will serve my time and when the renewal is due, cancel and move host.
So I continue with the host, when recently I am warned my site is on a probation server for the next 7 days, because I chose to run XML Google Sitemap Generator on the server which took up 90% of the CPU resources. If I wanted to stay with them I would have to rectify the script. I removed the script from the server, notified the company, whilst apologising, and received no answer. 2 days went by, still no answer, I put in a request for an update and told them all the further work I've went to so this issue will never arise in the future, no answer. By now, I'm getting worried, phone support, no answer, phone sales, get an answer and they put me through to support where I am quickly brushed of. I then via the ticket support system raise my issues and also quote their terms, whereby an engineer, will work with you closely to resolve the probation issue, and I get a reply, but sadly all it said, your comments have been passed onto an engineer. It has now been 7 days, and still not any answers from support.
This incident was actually a god send, as with all the other niggling issues, this motivated me to do some background search on the web host. First I checked all their terms & conditions which were updated a couple of months ago, without notification, and my alarm bells were ringing when I read their terms, some of which are unlawful under the Distance Selling regulations.
So I do some digging on Google, and this host has so many negative reviews and warnings from other customers, that I couldn't believe it, I felt as though I have been conned. There is many people that have had money removed from their accounts without notification or receipts of payment, for services they had canceled or had never ordered. Whats more there are many legal cases piling against the company for malpractice, and several organisations are researching their behavior further, including Trading Standards.
So after all the horror stories I've read (2 days so far, and not even halfway through the material, but I know enough now) I check my account, and lo and behold, £127 took out just 11 days ago, with no notification that this payment was happening, no invoice or receipt for this payment. I have now registered with a new host and spent all weekend downloading and backing up sites and databases, and have transferred them all over to the new host.
Once the new host has become active with my domain name, I will be contacting my bank for a charge back, then trading standards, and joining a rank of others venting their frustration at dealing with this company. Once I know my website is safe, I will post the details of the web host, so you can do your own research and learn from my experience (and others) to stay well away.
Apologies for the long post, just venting my frustation  Angry
2 REPLIES 2
seanbranagh
Grafter

Re: Bad Web Host - Rant

Do you mind naming the host so we know to stay away?
Although not as bad as that I did have an issue with 1and1 several years ago when I contacted them to change dns records, something I should have been able to do myself and should have taken effect within a few hours. Weeks went passed and all my sites were down because of this. They kept saying that it was in the system. I then tried to transfer the domains away and they refused because they had not been registered long enough. I eventually removed payment options from my Paypal account so they would not receive payment and started sending them letters. 3 letters every day until they eventually gave in and released the names for transfer.
mentalist3d
Grafter

Re: Bad Web Host - Rant

I wasn't going to name the host until I knew my site and domain were out there hands, but since it is being processed the now, I guess it will do no harm.
Streamline.net
The thing is they started good, it has just been the last year, that I've had problems. I noticed from other forums and review sites, that it seems to have been going on from early 2006 and continuing to this day.  There is a few protest sites popping up, but one good one I found is: http://www.vinylonthe.net/blah/my-legal-battle-with-streamlinenet/ (the picture is apparently where they held their data centre).
Other sites have posted their support tickets, and it made me laugh, as most of the replies they had, were exactly the same as my replies for a range of different issues. Support is definitely a cut & paste job lol. Just google - streamlinenet, legal,
There is a lot of info, which sealed the deal for me to move, on top of my own experience.