cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad Sectors

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Bad Sectors

I have came to realise that my hdd has one bad sector,not bad for an old optiplex gx260 that i purchased second hand off ebay,ive been monitoring this and for a week or so now its still has just one bad sector,ive tried repairing but to no avail,im asking knowledge people here if you think this one bad sectors a problem?i understand that if more spring up its time for new hdd or even new pc,but if it stays at one bad sector is there any serious damage done?
Many thanks in advance

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
3 REPLIES 3
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re:Bad Sectors

It's not so much of an issue itself, as the drive will avoid writing to the bad sector. The issue is though that it's usually an indicator that the drive is on its way out and it's time to back up everything while it's still working.
It may continue to work fine for some time of course, but if it's running or storing anything particularly important I'd give some serious thought to replacing it.
Hope that helps,
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Bad Sectors

Thanks for that,nothing particular really on my hdd,i just use the pc for surfing the net and paying bills,maybe its time i spent on a decent new computer,but its costly so will have to wait till next year,then again i dont want a dear top spec pc really as it would just be a waste.may go and fetch a new hdd.Its an old pc that im using and it was refurbished and and ex office one,i bought it from ebay,its doing the job,this bad sector has just came too my attention now so maybe its been like this since i got it i dont know,But i will keep an eye on it and if it gets worse then i will have to do something about it.
Ive got puppy linux as a safety measure if my hdd fails on me and i need to get online i can use puppy as that runs from the ram,im a bit weiry to buy another pc second hand from ebay now though as you just dont know how bad the hardware is until its too late. Undecided
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Bad Sectors

You could use a live (Ubuntu?) CD to boot and allow browsing.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."