Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad Blocks!

FIXED
nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

Bad Blocks!

I have an SSD (quite old, Intel 520) which has developed just one bad block and it's preventing backup image software from running when it hits it (about 25% in).

Am I correct in thinking that the SSD firmware should eventually remap the block out of harms way?

6 REPLIES 6
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Bad Blocks!

Take a non-imaging backup.

That way you will have nearly all your data if it dies.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

nozzer
Hero

I've copied all the stuff I really need as normal files, but I was hoping to replace the drive eventually. An image can be written to the new drive and it should just go from there. They are still available new on eBay apparently. Just need to get the backup software to ignore the bad block somehow.

Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Doesn't the chkdsk command scan (and mark/repair) bad sectors? I'm sure I used to use it on older drives.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fix

If you have access to a Linux machine try DDRescue.

nozzer
Hero

@Pete11    Done that but it says the drive is healthy! I've used something called HDDScan which has found it. Not found any software that remaps the block though.

nozzer
Hero

@Anonymous   Actually you've rung a bell! I think with my backup software there is a utility that makes a Linux copy of the software on a cd that you can use as a rescue disk. I had forgotten about that.