Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backups

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Backups

Can someone recommend a good and easy to use backup program.
I have Acronis true image 10 and used this to back up my computer to an external drive. Acronis validated the backup but when I tried to use it, it failed.
A search of the internet seems to indicate others have had this problem when trying to back up  using sata drives.
So if anyone has used any good programs perhaps they could advise me.
Thanks
We are born into history and history is born into us.
4 REPLIES 4
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Backups

If you're looking for something to do an image backup ( like Acronis ) , and the ability to do a bare metal recovery then have a look at Clonezilla http://clonezilla.org/

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

samuria
Grafter

You cant get better than acronis you need to sort out the fault. What did it say when you tried to recover it and how did you try to recover?
If you try and recover all the partition you need to boot from an acronis cd and if you get any problems with that select safe mode in acronis.
If you try and recover files while in windows you can mount the image and copy files from the image just like a drive.
Acronis does normal backups as well with built in backup for emails etc
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

As a general rule with Acronis I always do backups and restore using the boot CD
You could raise the problem here Wilders Acronis Support Forum
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

I Tried a recovery from the desk top short cut. The file was on an external drive. The computer rebooted with the Acronis logo and then 20 seconds later went through the normal boot process and finished with windows up and running.
What puzzled me is that on my old computer (6 years old) I had no problem in restoring back ups from the desk top yet I have this problem on a new computer with sata drives.
I Never thought to use the disk to boot from but will certainly give that a go.
Thanks for the ideas.
We are born into history and history is born into us.