Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backups and Data Analysis

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

Backups and Data Analysis

I have been spending time tidying up everywhere recently and this includes computers.

My first problem is to establish a simple backup system. Most backup software seems to just add more and more until the backup disk is full. All I really want is a backup of data files that are as of today and easily accesible. My files are still on Windows 7 and I have software from Easus and Paragon sitting on the computer. Most of my MS Office stuff is on a USB stick although I have 500Gb of additional hard drive plugged in!

This is embarrasing because I should know better but all I want is security with simplicity!

Looking at full copies of old hard drives there are lots of photos scattered all over the place on the with quite a few worth keeping.  Search does not seem to pull them all up so here I ned a program that will find all jpg files on a whole physical disk.

Any helpful suggestions?  A smacked wrist for not getting my act together over several decades will not cause offence!

19 REPLIES 19
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Backups and Data Analysis

@TeeGee 

If you select a disk in windows file explorer then enter  *.jpg  into the search box  it should list all .jpg files.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@TeeGee I haven't ever used Easus, and found I didn't get on with Paragon many years ago -might be better now - so I currently use Macrium and Acronis. They both create full or differentia/incremental backups, but Acronis (a) costs and (b) is a little greedy on disc space - and deleting old backups is harder, so why not try Macrium - it's free for personal use.

Following from @Baldrick1 's excellent advice for finding .jpg files, you might also want to use the .png and ,bmp extensions there as well - I know I have some pictures in both formats.

John
wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

You might want to take a look at Free File Sync. It's free* ( as the name suggests), and its basic function is to synchronise a folder or sets of folders. If you only really want to keep your backup drive and main drive in sync, then it should do the job. If you set it up to run as a batch job on a regular schedule, it will keep the two drives  the same. 

It has lots of options including versioning of files as they change, and a real time sync mode that runs the sync job every time a file changes. You can choose what to do with files deleted on  the main system - have them deleted from the backup drive (mirror) or not (update). 

If you set up two sessions covering the same folder set one Update which runs frequently or in real time, and one Mirror which runs less frequently or on demand then you get the opportunity to recover deleted files until you run the mirror job.

I use it to keep my Desktop and (windows) tablet  data files in sync. 

* There is a donate version that has an add free updater.

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

@jab1 wrote:

Following from @Baldrick1 's excellent advice for finding .jpg files, you might also want to use the .png and ,bmp extensions there as well - I know I have some pictures in both formats.

Unfortunately it does not seem to deliver as expected using Search in W7 with a lot of files not being seen. which is a little annoying. I could try from W10 as it can access the same disk which is a USB connection.

Had not given Macrium a though but it could well be what I need but for a few current files it has just occurred to me I could use MS Onedrive.once I have done a full backup.

jab1
Legend

@TeeGee That's strange - I'll have a play later and check.

John
jab1
Legend

@TeeGee 'Search' works for me - but note, it will only scan your main disc - you need a 3rd party program if you are scanning other drives (I think 😉)

I use a program called 'Everything' in preference to 'Search' for that reason

John
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Using Win7 Ultimate, search seems to work exactly as @Baldrick1 described it for me.

You need to make sure you select the drive you want to search in the left pane of the Explorer window.

jab1
Legend

@RobPN Thanks for that - my comments re: 'only searches main disk' were because I searched from the start menu. doh! 😃

John
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

jab1 @TeeGee 

I don't usually use the Windows built-in search, preferring 'FileLocator Lite' which is a free version of 'FileLocator Pro'

https://www.mythicsoft.com/

https://www.mythicsoft.com/filelocatorlite/download/

jab1
Legend

@RobPN See my last comment in post #7 - I suspect they both work in a similar way.

John
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@jab1 

Embarrassed

Oops ... I'd seen that Embarrassed, I should have directed my post to the OP, now corrected.  Thumbs_Up

Edit:  Excuse ... I've not been awake long enough.

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

Search now does work. It is just that I put in "jpg" and not "*.jpg" Very careless of me. The problem now is who is on the photos, where were they taken and who took them. There are also a lot of non photo Jpg files which are from adverts on web sites. Nothing particularly controversial but we do look a lot younger on many in different times.

@RobPN  I think I will give File Locator Lite a go as it may give more info on screen at a time for deleting or saving. TVM

I will get back to the initial "problem" of backup shortly.........

Thanks all

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

Search Update:

Search Gives a mass of options in Windows 10 listing everything with a view of the image. You can also click into the viewer to see full frame and move to the next one. Sadly, in either view it does not seem possible to delete via Search!

Thought I was nearly there.....

jab1
Legend

@TeeGee Search is just that, unfortunately - search. The only way I've found (but in W7, not 10) is to make a written list, noting the folder and picture number, and then delete via the folder - long and laborious, I know.

Someone else may know an easier/quicker way and share it, but I can't think of one, although somewhere in my brain there is the thought that I have (or had) a program that is a bit more helpful. I'll have a search tomorrow if I remember.

John