Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup/restore/external drive advice please

FIXED
Broadback1
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Backup/restore/external drive advice please

I have a desktop operating under Windows 10, 931GB of disk space 103Gb in use. I would like an easy program to operate for backing up and restoring the complete drive, also suggestions for an external hard disk to do it on. all suggestions welcome.

TIA

21 REPLIES 21
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Re: Backup/restore/external drive advice please

@Broadback1

Have a look at Macrium Reflect Free Edition for a backup/restore solution which I've been happily using for quite a while following a recommendation from someone (I think) on this forum.

It allows you to set scheduled tasks thus automating your backups for you provided you have suitable destination storage connected.  e.g. I use it to make a weekly scheduled image of the System HDD for my main PC, and periodic images of other PCs.

Depending on your budget, I would recommend a NAS for an external storage backup target.

Broadback1
Hooked

Thanks for that RobPN sounds good to me. However what is this NAS, I have tried google but that was unsatisfactory

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@Broadback1

Sorry, NAS = Network Attached Storage.

Some examples.

Edit: typo

Broadback1
Hooked

Thanks again, I now know more. However they are a little expensive for me, also seem over kill! 

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@Broadback1    

You could use a "USB CADDY" to house a separate HDD, or SSD... of whatever capacity you needed.

Both available, via expensive AMAZON, or cheaper on Ebay.

I am not a techy expert.... but found this program... ( free ) ..

https://www.backup-utility.com/

very easy to use to "clone" my current HDD to a usb caddy HDD... took about 2 hours... but very simple to use..

daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

@Broadback1 I have used Paragon products for a long time and they have a free backup and recovery product: https://www.paragon-software.com/free/br-free/#

I backup mostly to WD Elements external drives: the big ones, not the portable ones.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Broadback1, I use Acronis and you could use one of these to write the image to and all for under £60.

Broadback1
Hooked

Fix

Thank you one and all for the useful information. I have decided to got for Rob's suggestion for software and selected Kesu

ITB drive for the external disk drive. 

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

There are thousands of backup solutions - ranging from simple file copies to full backups with differential backups that just saves the changes since the previous backup.

It's advisable to have multiple backups - ideally saved in different physical locations.

The one big thing that you should test is...
After a backup has been taken you really should test what happens if you attempt to use your backup do do a full restore?

I think that most people wouldn't trust their backup sufficiently to try this (at least in a home environment).

But its something you really should try. Thumbs_Up

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@VileReynard I have Acronis True Image and Macrium Reflect installed, and do alternate monthly full backups with both. I also do 'test' re-installs with both, and they haven't let me down yet.

John
Broadback1
Hooked

What worries me with testing a backup is if it fails you have lost your data! However I see no alternative

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@Broadback1I understand what you are saying, but as pointed out above, I've never had one fail on me yet with either Macrium or ATI.

The essential thing to do is run the 'validate' option after creating the back-up - this will give you a reasonable reassurance the file is not corrupt and should re-install. Obviously, if the back-up source (external/DVD or whatever) develops a fault afterwards then you have a problem, but you can mitigate against that by putting alternate back-ups on different media - I use two different external HDD's.

John
daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

@Broadback1

I've been backing up Windows system and applications drives for many years. I never test them.

When I have had to restore because something gets screwed up, restoring from backup always works. I also keep multiple copies of data on external drives, just in case.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@Broadback1 wrote:

What worries me with testing a backup is if it fails you have lost your data! However I see no alternative

@Broadback1

One option would be to remove/disconnect the original system drive and replace/connect another in its place, then try and restore to the replacement.  That way, if it doesn't work you simply reconnect the original drive.