cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup and restore ptogtammes

JohnCT
Grafter

Backup and restore ptogtammes

I would like a straightforward program where i can back and restore my data files on a regular basis. Free would be good, but reasonable price one would be acceptable..
5 REPLIES 5
hadden
Grafter

Re: Backup and restore ptogtammes

When I was setting up my current regime, I noted that there were easy to use programs (free and non-free), but I wanted to be able to configure my options a fair bit and settled on the below free options. I have been operating this way for several years.
I have various data folders that I backup daily using Syncback Free and configured a separate profile for each backup. Then I merged the profiles into a group and it's set to run in the early hours.
Syncback Free is set to compress some of backups into zips or copy the files as a mirror of the source. For example, one backup merges my local pictures folders into a shared location on my network storage and another zips my Thunderbird profile into a single file.
I use Macrium Reflect Free for a weekly image backups of my system drive. When I wanted to change my hard drive for an SSD, I restored the last image backup to the new drive, resized the partition to fit and then switched the drives.
As I backup the above zips and the image onto a NAS, it automatically sends the previous version to its trash folder. I find I've got to clean that trash folder out every so often, but it also means I have multiple backups versions, in case of a problem with the latest one.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I think the answer depends hugely on quite how you intend to use the facility and how much you have to back-up.  At the one extreme you might want to regularly mess around with your computer then restore the whole thing to a pre-established working state.  At the other extreme you might want a second copy of all your documents, pictures, music etc. just in case something goes wrong but not have to make an effort making sure this second copy is up-to-date..
JohnCT
Grafter

Thanks for all the suggestions, I have decided to try TODO Backup on trial, if that works out I am quite willing to pay for it. Unless anyone have strong negative reason.
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Over the years I must have used them all and I'm another SyncBackFree fan because it saves one to one backups on any schedule you throw at it.
Let's be careful out there !
sjptd
Grafter

I used TODO Backup Free for a few years and it worked fine.  I upgraded to paid version when there was a very cheap offer and that is a little better, but I'd still be pretty happy with free.  I'd certainly recommend it.
I used Acronis for some time a few years back, but it went through a bad patch where lots of things went wrong (I forget the details now)