cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up data

JohnCT
Grafter

Backing up data

I am not certain if this is the correct place to ask this, if not I apologise. My computer uses Windows 8 and runs under VAIO. If I get a nasty total failure I can recover the Windows 8, However is there a simple way I can back-up and recover all my user programs and associated data? Like most peeps I would prefer something free, but would be willing to pay a reasonable sum of gelt! I would, of course like to have automatic backups to keep everything current.
13 REPLIES 13
sjptd
Grafter

Re: Backing up data

One excellent free program is EaseUS backup: http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm ; That will back up OS, programs and data as a single (large) file.  It does need quite a bit of space to backup onto.
You could set it up for example to do a complete backup once a week, and an incremental backup (eg what has changed) each day.
Acronis is a paid alternative which I used to use but it went through an awkward buggy patch so I abandoned it.  I don't know what it is like now.
For data, a free cloud service like Dropbox, Google Drive or OneDrive works pretty well.  I prefer Dropbox and am now paying for extra space, but it has the lowest quota of free space.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I bought a new Gigabyte motherboard the other day and it came with a few apps on CD including Smart Recovery 2.
It's a freeware download from http://www.techspot.com/downloads/6536-gigabyte-smart-recovery.html.
I have had need to use it and it works fine.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

does it allow selective backup or does it just backup the entire drive
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I thought Windows 8 included a facility to take a full system image, though it's a bit hidden?
Strat
Community Veteran

Jim
Quote from: Strat
Smart Recovery 2.

As described in the link above it does an initial full backup of the chosen drive to the chosen destination and then performs scheduled incremental backups.
I have used it to do a full roll-back of an initial OS install and also picked files from various dates going back 3 days.
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: HPsauce
Windows 8 included a facility to take a full system image, though it's a bit hidden?
And rather more hidden in 8.1.  Crazy
Control Panel, File History, bottom left corner.  Wink That's the full "traditional" control panel.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Doesn't quite do what I would have hoped as my data drive has so much on it (all the games are stored there) that I would need to buy another drive to back it up
At present Acronis backs up the system drive and Sync Toy the data
However it is definitely a thought for the future when I do a rebuild
Strat
Community Veteran

I could easily get a bit carried away with backup paranoia.
What if my backup drive fails....I'll get another drive to back up the backup to...etc.
I currently have a System drive, a Data drive and a System Backup drive internally.
I also have a 3TB networked drive where data gets backed up to weekly with Sync Toy.
It was one of the best things I ever did long ago splitting system and data to separate drives.
nanotm
Pro

I use Nero back-it-up to create backups of my c drive to a NAS (running x-raid)  on a daily basis (full disk image takes about 30 minutes) and once a month I backup the files on the other drives, few of them change much other than games and I don't mind having to download them, nero obviously requires a one off payment but given the nero platinum package was under £50 it represents good value for money (as I use the rest of the program bundle quite a bit)  you can also choose to send files to a remote storage location (cloud) but my computer does that by default with my free 15gb one drive (formerly skydrive) attached to my Hotmail account,
I would suggest you could put any and all personal files in a free cloud store like onedrive and use an external drive for the OS drive thus once the initial cost outlay has been made there is zero on-going costs associated with it (other than having the kit plugged in of course) Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
picbits
Rising Star

I use Clonezilla - it creates a complete snapshot of your drive, can back up to external devices or over a network and is totally free Smiley
JohnCT
Grafter

Quote from: sjptd
One excellent free program is EaseUS backup: http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm   That will back up OS, programs and data as a single (large) file.   It does need quite a bit of space to backup onto.
You could set it up for example to do a complete backup once a week, and an incremental backup (eg what has changed) each day.

I've opted to try this program. However how do I set it up to backup weekly and incremental backup daily please?
dick:green Quote fixed.
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

The best way with data is 2 fold.
The best free program out there is SyncBackFree. Be wary of Microsofts SyncToy as we had issues with that over a range of machines where it got it wrong and randomly deleted source files instead of backing them up. When comparing notes with other users they had periodically suffered the same and assumed it was something they had done by accident.
Stage 2 is to have both an external drive to regularly automatically back up to, plus, a portable external drive that is only connected to perform say a weekly manual backup. That way, if you pick up a ransomware issue then that data is safe as long as you don't connect it if you have an issue.
I've never relied on full system backups as I've heard stories. I remember a large number of users on Wilders forum who were regularly performing and verifying TrueImage full system backups. When they needed them in anger they were accually corrupt.
I've always said that any serious issues and I would reinstall from scratch and then apply my saved data.
Let's be careful out there !
sjptd
Grafter

I've opted to try this program. However how do I set it up to backup weekly and incremental backup daily please?
It isn't the clearest interface I am afraid.  Assuming you are on 8.2,
Click Disk/Partition Backup ...
Set up what you want to backup and where.
Click the Schedule at the bottom left and that will open a dialog with various options.
Also probably click the Image-reserve strategy to control how many older backups are preserved.