Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back up drive

FIXED
Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Back up drive

If this drive is new, I would be tempted to send it back to Seagate, (most have a 2 year warranty). Maybe you could send Seagate the screenshot and an explanation of what's going on so they can advise the next step(s) to rectify it.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Fix

@petlew

Going by your screenshot, right-click on the unallocated space and choose create 'New Simple Volume' whereby a wizard should then guide you through formatting that volume, together with a label and drive letter.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Right click on the unallocated area and select 'New Simple Volume...', click next and specify the size you want then choose the option to format on the next screen. Robert is now an older relative Smiley

@RobPN beat me lol

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Browni

@Browni wrote:

.... Robert is now an older relative Smiley

Not necessarily, uncles can also be younger relatives  Wink

Browni
Aspiring Hero

They tend to be older but you understood exactly what was meant Grin

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Thank you RobPN and Browni, between you it is fixed, I now have the backup Seagate drive (as Drive "E") The Seagate software see's it, so far the Macrium Reflect doesn't, but a PC restart may fix that.

As I thought, the fix was ridiculously simple, as long as you know what you're doing. Not so easy or obvious if you don't. Seagate's "help" was not particularly helpful.

I would like to add a "This fixed it" to both of you, but not sure if I can do that. When I go back to the thread, I'll give it to the first answer with the right idea, even if it was modified by the following post.

Thanks again.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

If you really had previously made use of that drive then it must have been formatted.  But then we saw that it wasn't.  So either it is faulty or something else that happened to it screwed it up in a way that shouldn't be possible.  

Browni
Aspiring Hero

All that's happened is a partition has been deleted which is easily possible with partitioning software.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

So what happens next time you do another backup - will it create yet another partition?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Well, I HOPE a new backup will simply over-write the existing back-up. But then maybe that'll be asking too much to hope for. If it creates a new one the 2Tb is not going to last very long.

Anyway, the Seagate software has automatically scheduled another back-up for the 4th January (without me requesting it) No doubt I could change or disable the schedule, but I can wait... to see what happens.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

<deleted>

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."