Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back up copies of DVD

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Back up copies of DVD

I Have a number of Wii disks and wish to make a backup copy of these but it seems the usual programs are unable to do this. ie Slysoft products
I understand you also need a specific model of DVD burner to make these copies.
I have come across a couple of programs that claim to be able to make these copies which would be for my own personal use but does anyone have any experience of copying these types of disk ?
The reviews of these programs vary so I want to check out what others think before parting with the cash
We are born into history and history is born into us.
4 REPLIES 4
Bluesplayer
Grafter

Re: Back up copies of DVD

Wii are copy protected just like other console games.  To enable such discs to run in a console - based on my experiences with ps3 and 2 - the copied games have to be patched first and also the console has to be chipped.  There were some plug in devices that allowed copied games to run on the ps2 and 3.  Some of these did work but generally chipping was the only real solution.  You also needed quite a bit of knowledge about iso images and patching techniques to create your own copied games.  Also because copied dvds are not so reflective as the real dvd the best results were only on certain types of dvds - make wise.  The best for the ps2 for instance was Verbatim discs.  I have no idea if the Wii console can be chipped but nodoubt someone somewhere is doing it.  A quick google search for Wii chipping resulted in lots of info about 'unlocking' them.  Read up on such results and see if you can eventually find a working solution.  Don't buy software or other that states it can copy any type of game cos they can't!
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Thanks for that, it does seem a tricky subject.
Your very last sentence about copying software was the most important for me as it confirms a lot of other criticism on the internet about programs that claim to copy these DVDs but are unable to do so.
Only problem with chipping or unlocking is that it could cause problems with updating or result in a software problem that cannot be rectified.
I guess my best bet is to leave well alone and purchase a replacement disk  rather than ending up with an even bigger problem.
Trouble is I like fiddling around with things and as someone else on this forum stated, "If it isn't broke then keep fiddling around with it until it is."
We are born into history and history is born into us.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Not a game machine bod, but didnt one of them deliberately much up any one who had unlocked the machine recently
Steve
Seasoned Pro

This would be your best bet gleneagles, If your up to It. Play Wii Games From a Hard Drive? Here's How
Video of how to do It here...

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.