cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back in Linux-land

Not applicable

Back in Linux-land

Just acquired a lovely lappy and now back in Linux-land.
Tried live CDs and all hardware compatible. Can now forget dual-booting and just have a single operating system computer which is what I always wanted.
Installed Mint first but now gone back to Ubuntu 9.10. All working beautifully. Forgotten how fast and easy it all was. 
Couldn't view a particular video from FF so installed Chrome and it really is fast - come a long way since I tried it in beta (although the version that I installed from the Google site is labelled Beta too). Can now view that video (don't know why it didn't work in FF).
I have upgraded to TB3 but I still can't drag and drop emails into a folder in Documents. I hold down Ctrl, drag but it doesn't drop!
Just bounces back. If the email is open I can highlight text and drag that - makes it into a txt doc. Any answers please?
7 REPLIES 7
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Back in Linux-land

Ahh you want to COPY mail to the DOCUMENTS folder not inside TB, that was what was confusing us old *nix users.  Shocked
Don't think that is possible via d&d. There maybe an extension to dolt. otherwise highlight them and right click/save as will do it.
Not applicable

Oh, that's good - means that I am not such a dafty. I thought it couldn't be done. If you save them individually you have to be pretty careful because if you do it with ones that have the same title it will just copy over the original one without warning that it is going to do this.
I don't save many - just receipts and what have you. In WLM I highlight them all at the end of the month and drag them into an appropriately named folder.
Emails with the same title are just renamed (1) (2) etc. Shame I can't get it to work under Wine.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

You using pop3 or IMAP? Cause all I do is keep an IMAP folder called Kept Stuff, and drop anything I want to keep there, I also send it to my gmail account so there are 2 copies. You can also set a folder to be synced in TB which will save a copy locally.
spiralx

Installed Mint first but now gone back to Ubuntu 9.10.

Just out of interest, poppy , what made you change your mind?
Not applicable

Well, I like Mint and it is good to have things already on like Flash and Java, but there is something about the Ubuntu menus that I like.  So simple, clean, clear and easy to navigate.
I find that I don't really need shortcuts to things as they are so easy to get to from the menus.
If it wasn't for the menu arrangement, Mint would be fine. It's just about what you feel comfortable with.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Quote from: poppy
I find that I don't really need shortcuts to things as they are so easy to get to from the menus.

If you mean the favorites menu, I just leave it switched off, it is there if I want it but mostly go via the main menus, it is a simple click to turn it off, just click on ALL Apps, and there they stay until you click back, however on my EEE I tend to use the UNBR and favorites, strange as I didn't like it to start with!  Undecided
But with the small screen the menu in full view is better than mucking about. Pity Mint don't do a mix for netbooks. (Yet)
But I prefer the search menu & software menu on Mint to Ubutnu's one. but FOSS is all about freedom of choice, you aren't forced to use a particular menu or even distro. (BTW you can disable the Mint menu and put back the Ubuntu one with a few clicks  Wink ;D)
Not applicable

Ah, I had thought that Mint menu was configurable but didn't bother to look it up. Maybe I will have another go sometime. For now, am quite settled with Ubuntu as it is working very well indeed.