Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT whole home mini shows red light when connected to new PN hub 2

FIXED
JO9
Fixes: 1

BT whole home mini shows red light when connected to new PN hub 2

Hi. I’m new to Plusnet, my service started today. My PN home hub 2 system connected to broadband ok and is giving a good Wi-Fi signal. It replaces a BT hub 6, their physical interfaces look identical. I have plugged my BT whole home mini disc Wi-Fi mesh system into the home hub, but whatever I do I can only get a red light on the whole home disc, which indicates ‘no connection/ error’. I have followed all the advice on the whole home app (turn each unit off & on, do a whole home factory reset) with no success, I also replaced the Ethernet cable between them. I understood that these systems should work together simply, but they haven’t done so yet for me. Advice very welcome!
6 REPLIES 6
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: BT whole home mini shows red light when connected to new PN hub 2

Which LAN port on the Plusnet hub do you have the Whole Home primary disc connected to? You need to avoid plugging anything into the fourth port.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

JO9

Thanks for replying. It was in the one labelled WAN, which is the 4th port. I moved it to port 1 and that has solved the problem. Hooray and thanks! But why is the 4th port useless? It was fine on the BT router.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

On the Plusnet Hub 2, the 4th port is a dedicated WAN port. It's used for connecting to the ONT with Full Fibre

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JO9

Ah OK, thanks. I now see that this a difference between the two routers.

For some reason, my BT whole home mini discs do not want to connect to the home disc wired to the router. They also show a red light dispute me following the BT app instructions for connecting them and the wired disc giving a good Wi-Fi signal. Perhaps this is off topic here. If so, apologies.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

'fraid I don't know much about the whole home discs, but have you tried a factory reset of the other dscs ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JO9

Fix
OK I fixed my last problem by connecting each BT mini disc by Ethernet cable to the router. The BT app didn’t seem to mention this. All working now. Thanks again.