cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT v2091 router

learner

BT v2091 router

Hi - can anyone advise how i can connect my broadband phone and my BT Synergy 3505 home phone through the plusnet supplied BT v2091 router? the router doesnt have a line socket. All works well with the PC on the ethernet connection and the phone line in the microfilter socket. I havent yet set up the wireless option. I would like to use the broadband phone with 2 cordless handsets that revert to home phone when the PC is off. must i bin the existing kit and get a new set up. appreciate any help
learner
9 REPLIES 9
Denzil
Grafter

Re: BT v2091 router

The BT phone is an analogue one, so it can't be connected to your router. It has to be connected to the phone line output of a splitter/microfilter.
I don't know of any way an analogue phone can be used for VOIP, but no doubt someone else will tell us if there is.
There are dedicated VOIP phones that will work without a PC, and connect directly to a network port on the router (if I remember rightly).
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Using regular cordless phones is possible, but it involves taking the handsets/base units apart and messing around quite a lot (I got half way through building one but got distracted and never had chance to finish it).
A dedicated VoIP phones, or a USB phone would be a much easier solution.
learner

thanks for that - as i thought i bin the 3505 but if i get a suitable voip phone to replace it how can i connect it to a v2091  router without a tele line output? must i bin the router as well?
Denzil
Grafter

Most VOIP phones connect via USB to a PC, but you can get ethernet VOIP phones which will connect directly to your router. See below.
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-VOIP+Phones
itsme
Grafter

If you want to use your DECT phones you have 2 options.
1. Use a phone adapter like this. This adapter need to be pluged into an ethernet port of your router. Believe the 2091 does have 1 port. Only problem with this solution is that you can't use POTS and VOIP on the same handset
2. Purchase a router/modem that support voip like the X5v from Zoom These devices support both POTS and VOIP using the same handset and if there is a powercut the POTS will still work.
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: itsme
Only problem with this solution is that you can't use POTS and VOIP on the same handset.

Yes you can get a BT phone with 2 lines model BT converse 2025
I have 1 line pots and line2 plustalk voip. 
If you have a free port on your router plug a Linksys pap2-na in to it.  £13 on ebay and get 2 voip lines you just plug a normal phone in to it
If not plusnet sell a speedtouch 716wl router it has 4 ports 1 usb 1 pots and 1 voip line for less than £70 plus its wireless
And as for getting a dect phone to work on voip is not easy the adapter or voip might not have enough power to work  I tried with an old BT dect cordless and failed
Puddy
with a sip voip phone you can make and receive calls with the computer off
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: puddy
Only problem with this solution is that you can't use POTS and VOIP on the same handset.

Yes you can get a BT phone with 2 lines model BT converse 2025
I have 1 line pots and line2 plustalk voip. 

Did you follow the link that was associated with the comment? If so you would have found that it was for a linksys pap2 and these adapters do not support POTS.
And as for getting a dect phone to work on voip is not easy the adapter or voip might not have enough power to work  I tried with an old BT dect cordless and failed

Are you saying that you plugged a dect phone is the pap2 adapter and this did not work? Be surpised if this is the case.
itsme
Grafter

If money is not a problem then I would recommend to the OP to go with this dedicated POTS/VOIP phone and this should work with the 2091 router
puddy
Grafter

Did you follow the link that was associated with the comment? If so you would have found that it was for a linksys pap2 and these adapters do not support POTS.

What i said is that you can connect 1 line from the PAP2 and a BT line to line 2 with a BT converse 2025 telephone i.e its a 2 incoming line phone.
Are you saying that you plugged a dect phone is the pap2 adapter and this did not work? Be surpised if this is the case.

No I plugged a dect phone in to my speedtouch 716wl router which has 2 built in voip  ports and it did not work.  The problem was that you cannot increase the power supply to power it properly.  You can change the power setting on the Pap2 so it may work!!!
Puddy