cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT offers quicker Broadband

Jake
Grafter

BT offers quicker Broadband

To me this seems over-priced. It reminds me of PC World charging through the nose for the 'PC Health Check' - ie defrag your Hard Drive and run an anti-virus check, as it's charging people lots of money for something they could do themselves.
This month's edition of PC Pro offers ten great tips for improving Broadband speeds, and that wass less than a fiver!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/digitallife/main.jhtml?xml=/connected/2008/06/11/dlbt111.xml
7 REPLIES 7
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: BT offers quicker Broadband

I beg to differ.  Wink
There are plenty of things we could do ourselves if we had the time, information and skills. Often relatively simple. Many people choose not to for a whole variety of valid reasons.
I do this sort of thing for people regularly (as you can probably tell from the advice I give here) and for a "corporate supplier" the charges are quite reasonable. Compare it, for example, to the annual "service" of your gas boiler (price-wise that is, I know you can't do that yourself).
James
Grafter

I think that this is a pretty decent venture by BT.
For a number of people, speed is very important and they'll be more than happy for BT to come and fiddle around with their sockets and filters for £90.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

This "offer" from BT is not aimed at the more "savvy" customers who know a few things will help to improve speed and stability. It is not aimed at the people who subscribe/read forums etc for d.I.Y fixes for problems. It is for those who do not know one end of a screwdriver from a potato peeler.  And is very similar sort of thin to the offers by the likes of B&Q.....  you buy the furniture in flat pack, and for a fee, we will make it up for you (properly) as opposed to "here`s your box of bits, the instructions are inside".... For many people, those instructions might just as well not be there .... they end up with a "passable" effort, but it does not resemble the "luxury item" illustrated on the box ! As HP sauce says, it is quite a reasonable price,  Especially if you compare it to the "no fault found" fee that BT will charge after raising a speed issue, and the engineer calls to fix you up ! ! !...
pierre_pierre
Grafter

At the hourly rate they charge Shutter, how much do you reckon it would have cost for your recent sort out Smiley Wink Cool Roll_eyes
shutter
Community Veteran

If they were charging by the hour, quite a lot more than £90.  Cheesy
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Don't forget to factor in all the advice from here at "consultant" rates.  Crazy
shutter
Community Veteran

Of course...... and much appreciated it was too.....  Wink  (and no vat to pay! !)  Smiley