cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT iplate £10 device to boost por conections speeds

amcclean
Rising Star

BT iplate £10 device to boost por conections speeds

I've just read the article below about the new iplate from BT. Is it basically a new integtrated dsl faceplate like the combined ones you can buy from adslnation?

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/177375/the-10-device-that-could-rescue-your-broadband-connection.html

R
25 REPLIES 25
amcclean
Rising Star

Re: BT iplate £10 device to boost por conections speeds

no point in buying one then as I have a adslnation plate already
Save the money.
R
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

BT says it expects ISPs to distribute the device freely to customers with connection problems, saving on the expense of support calls and engineer visits.

That's nice of them - pass the cost of the problem on to someone else!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
puddy
Grafter

Will the BT i-plate help with the problem plusnet said I had suffered because of the earth quake slowing my download speeds?

Puddy
prichardson
Grafter

Due to being off, I missed the briefing from BT about this iPlate, however my understanding of the device means a huge reduction in costs for all parties.
The installation of an SSFP (filtered faceplate to the initiated) is a chargeable service and falls under the remit and costs of an SFI engineer, at the unsightly cost of £144+vat (£169.20).
Why this much? Well, these devices are installed due to it being proven that the customers internal cabling has proven to be at the source of the problem.
There are possibly several options other than the SSFP.
* Disconnection of the internal cabling
* Correction of the internal cabling
* Leaving the cabling alone, thus leaving the fault
In each of these cases, the customer could have organised this themselves through a local alarm engineer or other qualified bod.
The exception to this is the old style line jack, which will be uplifted onto the new NTe5 master sockets. This process is free of charge, however don't go getting any ideas about asking us to request this for you, as exceptions apply here too.
If the service is working to specification, then no fault found would be declared as there is no need to change this socket. You can however request this is done anyway, though is much cheaper to request through BT Retail than letting an SFI do it (and an SFI is not guaranteed to do this as it is upto the engineer).
If the engineer does uplift to an NTe5, the installation of an SSFP will be chargeable as per the process above had an NTe5 been there to begin with. The engineer would need to leave it as a standard NTe5 with all internal cabling disconnected for it to be non-chargeable and the customer is left to organise correction of the internal stuff (which they couldn't on a line jack)
The iPlate will allow the customer to organise an uplift to this device themselves, at a fraction of the cost.
I'm trying to get my hands on one.
If you ask me, it's far from passing the costs on. We could if we wished, pass on the SFI costs as it is for a standard SSFP. Which do you want, £169.20 or £10?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Why is this gadget denoted as a "Interstitial Plate"?
Interstitial means in between and I fail to see how it could work if it didn't come between two things.
Or is it yet another attempt include the trendy i prefix (ipod, iplayer, iphone, iGoogle, i-Get-a-Life)?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

prichardson
Grafter

Nope, my understanding (again, I was off during the brief) was that is sit in-between the backplate the the frontplate of the NTe5.
There is no need to disconnect the internal cabling, as the design means this remains as is. It's like an SSFP without the need to actually do the rewiring yourself.
It will require a small amount of manual labour, by unscrewing the front and slotting the device between.
amcclean
Rising Star

Given the fact I have a filtered socket from adslnation will my line benifit from this new plate or not, providing the end user is allowed to obtain one.
current face plate
http://www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php
R
prichardson
Grafter

No, the ADSL Nation one is exactly the same as a SSFP. Clarity sell modified SSFPs.
The iPlate is also the same, the difference is its unique design feature, is that it sits between the existing master socket frontplate and backplate, without the needs to removal the wires from the back of the existing frontplate, and wire them using the IDC or screw terminals, depending on the design of the SSFP in use.
Less risk of damage, no need for a krone tool or knowledge of which pin is which.
Installing an iPlate inline with one of those ADSL Nation plates or Clarity SSFPs, will result in a double filtering scenario, which is just as bad as no filters.
amcclean
Rising Star

cheers Phil,
I'll save my money.
A
jnwright
Grafter

If you go to BT Wholesale here which will download a zip file and then if you extract the Powerpoint file BBWG_230108_SLOT8_InterstitialPlates_issue1.1.ppt you will find it does no more than filter the bell wire to the NTE5 removable front plate and to any extensions wired to the front plate. It still has to be used in conjunction with ADSL filters, but stops the house wiring from transferring interference picked up by the bell wire to the ADSL router/modem.  An easy solution for people who want to possibly raise the sync rate but do not feel technically competent to remove the bell wire, or have phone problems when it has been removed.  So it's £10 for the i-plate and if you have trouble fitting it, you can call out BT to do it for you - £££s.
So, in brief:
1. It's a Bell wire filter.
2. It's not a replacement for ADSL filters.
3. It won't help if you've already cut both ends of the bell wire to extensions.
4. Not much use for anyone without extensions - router and phone plugged into filter connected directly to the master socket.
deekay
Grafter

Please could I clarify something?
The installation here is:
The BT underground cable rises about 12" up the wall by the front door. It is connected to a sealed BT terminal box. Out of the box is a cable which goes through the wall and into the master socket. Plugged into the master socket, via a T shaped filter is the main phone. Also out of the external terminal box is the hard wired extension (fitted by BT) which runs round the outside wall of the house and into a bedroom. Plugged into that bedroom socket (again via a T filter) is the extension phone and the computer's router. There is no SKY here.
Do I assume that, as the extension is connected outside the house and before the master socket, one of these iplates will be of no use to me?
Many thanks.
Keith
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Is there any news of when this will be available to customers yet? It has all gone very quiet...
Thanks..
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
godsell4
Rising Star

Quote from: jnwright

So, in brief:
1. It's a Bell wire filter.

Um, why not just snip the bell wire then?
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
prichardson
Grafter

Quote from: godsell4
Um, why not just snip the bell wire then?
SW.

Because any future faults with the service will result in the bell wire being restored by an engineer. Such action is chargeable to bring internal upto ADSL specification as set out and covered by section 3.2 of SIN346