Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT home hub not that brilliant

glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

BT home hub not that brilliant

Maybe I have been spoiled using Draytek routers for many years but I find the BT home hub 4r not what it's all cracked up to be. For a start the user instructions are very basic indeed and give no information other that connecting to the web. The user interface is the most complicated I have come across with you having to hunt around to try to figure out what you want to do. My connection speed was almost 2meg down on the Draytek and the port forwarding seems to work when it feels like it. Being a BT product and with all the boasting about how good the WiFi was I was expecting something special instead I got a poor connection speed and poor WiFi coverage. With my Draytek I get full 4 bars in my bedroom, with the BT Home hub I could only get one with a bit of fiddling. Maybe that's why they have to advertise it so much, it would not sell otherwise.
8 REPLIES 8
beeceegee
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: BT home hub not that brilliant

Quote from: glloyd
.........I find the BT home hub 4r not what it's all cracked up to be....

I thought it was only BT who cracked up the HH to be anything  Wink
nadger
Rising Star

I purchased unused HH4, on Bay, at beginning of this year and very pleased with it  Smiley
Adsl connection is what I'd expect and has been stable.
No problems with 2.4Ghz wi-fi - most of usage is streaming using Roku.
glloyd
Rising Star

I suppose it depends on what you have been using before. I have found several routers give a lower ADSL connect speed than my Draytek 2710n .
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Since they are locked down and limited to BT (or PN) then they are not that great, when I had a HH3 installed a short while ago (to diagnose a problem else where) I found the lack of control to be very limited. No telnet access the web pages are limited in what you can do, something like change an ip address is not allowed etc etc.
For a FREE router they are much better than some worse than others. As a purchased router there are better out there.
glloyd
Rising Star

The Home Hub 4r is for use on other ISP's so not locked.
TORPC
Grafter

Do they do a version of the HH5 unlocked for other ISP's ?Huh
glloyd
Rising Star

Not so far. If it's anything like the 4r they can keep it.
Kevin
Rising Star

I'm using a HH5 on Plusnet with no problems at all. I just did a manual setup of it rather than using their wizard.
Kevin.