cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Wifi 300 Range extender and technicolor tg582n

concreteman

BT Wifi 300 Range extender and technicolor tg582n

Can anyone help? Purchased a BT Wifi Extender 300 which according to the box "works with all broadband providers" but not Plusnet it seems.

Router has a WPS button so followed instructions for Method 1 'using WPS Button but unable to make an Ethernet connection to the extender, although I can se the extender when I view wifi sources it will not connect to the router. Tried the online option but only get as far as message saying my wifi extender is not configured. 

Very frustrating - especially if you are not that technically minded. I need simple - thought I'd bought simple after having similar problem with a belkin product

6 REPLIES 6
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: BT Wifi 300 Range extender and technicolor tg582n

I just had a quick look at some instructions, plug the extender in near the router, wait a min for it to settle, then press the WPS button on the router and the extender, wait for the lights to go off.

Foes it have a too close/too far away light? If that's flashing you may have to move it.

concreteman

Thanks - but the router and wifi extender are about 2 metres apart, but in the same room. It doesn't seem to make any difference if they are next to each other or 2 metres apart. It has too close and too far lights which both continually flash.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

Are the WPS lights coming on when you press the buttons? If not you may need to press them a little longer, but you should have up to 2 mins to get them both.

concreteman

Yes they light up on both the router and the extender. I tried holding the button down on the extender for longer than the 1 second it recommended in the booklet but this doesn't seem to make any difference 

Mustrum
Community Veteran

I am running out of ideas! Perhaps move the extender into the next room, or at least further away.

twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

Scrap the Technicolor doorstop and get a decent router, those things are just a "gets you online, just not very well" stopgap solution, I haven't even plugged mine in since I got it, been previously using a D-Link DIR-615 and currently use a Netgear WNDR4300 router, far better, and much better WiFi range too... Smiley