cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Voyager 2110 v Thomson TG585v7

hokeye

BT Voyager 2110 v Thomson TG585v7

Greetings fellow plussers!
I have just migrated from tiscali(and am I glad!) and was just wondering if I am missing out speedwise for not using the Thomson  tg585 v7 that plusnet kindly sent me( I have kept it for now as spare just in case!).
I have been using BT Voyager 2110 for last couple of years with no problems.Since the router was already connected with my pc(and 2 other pcs via bt adapter) all I have to do was change the user name and password and all is working fine.
Just wondering! Is Thomson TG585v7 better than BT Voyager 2110! Am I missing out on speed or anything else!
Would be interested to hear your views. Many thanks
hokeye
jim:blue all caps in title removed mod:end
15 REPLIES 15
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: BT Voyager 2110 v Thomson TG585v7

The Thomson TG585v7 is not especially renowned for anything.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Smiley

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Not applicable

I'm currently using the Thomson but also have a Linksys. There is no difference between the two. If the BT router is OK then would probably leave it. If  you are really curious, are motivated and have the time, after your 10 days 'warm up' then you could run some speed tests with one, change over to the Thomson and repeat the exercise.  It's best to reboot in the middle of the day apparently.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and no more than 3 reboots over a period of about an hour, you will screw up your speed if to many in a short time
hokeye

Thanks
Will see how the next 10 dayss goes speedwise!Hope it settles down!
Interested
Grafter

I left Tiscali back in 2007 and have been with PN ever since. I am still using my BT Voyager 2110 which PN supplied when I switched and its still working well.
My speeds average between 3MB and 3.5MB.
mal0z
Grafter

When I came to PN - I already had a Netgear DG834 and of course that is still an excellent router.
But I have acquired a Thomson TG585v7 - and although I too was skeptical at first and didn't much like their admin interface, I have left it running and 95+% of the time it just does the job. OK - I don't need to do anything clearer with xboxs - etc etc - but it just works.
So as a cost effective router for ISP's to supply for the average user - I think it does the job just fine.
If you are a techie or have some special requirements - then ok get something else.
But how it compares with the BT Voyager 2110 - sorry I don't have experience of that piece of kit.. But if you plan to stay with PN for a year - then getting a spare router can't be a bad idea.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

I have a 585v7 and a Voyager 2110. For ease of use and general functionality I prefer the Voyager. The Voyager is also compatible with DMT unlike the later revisions of the Thomson. Having said that, I did develop a problem with the Voyager where is wouldn't auto-reconnect after losing the DSL signal. This meant that I had to manually access the router console to tell it to reconnect or physically reboot the device. The inconvenience of this led me to use the 585v7 over the Voyager.
Performance wise, neither of the two routers is significantly better than the other. I'm currently using a 2Wire 2700HGV which are renown or their ability to keep hold of a connection on flaky lines.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

hokeye

Thanks bob
I have a speed problem at the moment .This is my third day with PN. It was alright first 2 days and suddenly the download speed has dropped considerably ie from 1770kbps to 128kbps! In the evening its worse and takes ages to download a bbc page.
I noticed from the speed test  The IPS address has changed  from 87.112.2.55 to 87.112.74.87 for some reason, could be the reason!
Could be a problem at the exchange may be! Technical dept is looking into now.Thanks  for the feedback
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: hokeye
I noticed from the speed test  The IPS address has changed  from 87.112.2.55 to 87.112.74.87 for some reason, could be the reason!

You IP address will change from time to time as it's dynamic.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

mikeyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Bob
Having said that, I did develop a problem with the Voyager where is wouldn't auto-reconnect after losing the DSL signal. This meant that I had to manually access the router console to tell it to reconnect or physically reboot the device.

I never had this problem with my own Voyager, but one of my referrals did.  Every few days even when set to "Always on" it would loose connection and browsing to the router web interface would show the "ready to connect" screen.  Latest firmware didn't help.  The solution was to change the connection from PPPoA to PPPoE.
From what I have read, PPPoE should be the "wrong" setting and also has more overheads so not as efficient but it seems to have worked for me.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The 2091's sat on my windowsill as I type so I might plug it in and give that a go when I get the chance. Would be interesting to see if it does fix the problem as I've seen a few reports recently from people moving back to BT from our LLU offering who have just started experiencing these issues too.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

pale95
Dabbler

My Voyager 240 is much more stable for me than the Thompson which PN have supplied free on my switch to 'Value'.
See my post "TG585 V7 Frequent Freak-Outs"
My average speed is good (up-to 5Mbps towards midnight) but it DOES seem to go up-and-down which may be what's tripping the Thompson up.
I would second the 'If it ain't broke..' comment.
Cheers,
Paul
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: mal0z
But I have acquired a Thomson TG585v7 - and although I too was skeptical at first and didn't much like their admin interface, I have left it running and 95+% of the time it just does the job. OK - I don't need to do anything clearer with xboxs - etc etc - but it just works.
So as a cost effective router for ISP's to supply for the average user - I think it does the job just fine.
If you are a techie or have some special requirements - then ok get something else.

Funnily enough I've developed a sneaking regard for Thomson routers (OK, OK, I'll keep taking the pills Smiley ).
The web-based interface on the consumer-grade models is appalling without a doubt but, once you get to grips with the CLI, you suddenly realise that there's a whole load of functionality hidden away inside them which you just can't get on any other router for the same dirt cheap price (including higher level stuff such as Drayteks). Examples are:-

• full partitioning of the switch

• switch port mirroring (so you can packet sniff a port without it going through something else)

• full 802.11q tagged vlans, not just cheapo port based vlans such as Draytek and Zyxel offer

• full scripting (which is why ISPs like 'em as you don't need custom firmware)

• log files that are persistent over reboots

• a save command that backs up every setting

• a CLI that's consistent (both of itself and across different Thomson platforms) and hides the underlying Linux architecture (something that Netgear et al could do with investing in)

• a good NAT and packet filtering implementation (although granted it's so comprehensive that it's hard to learn)

• once you've found it there's some good technical documentation that pretty well covers all of the above

• most of them have got a pretty reasonable Broadcom chipset inside them - I've an 780WL here which maintains a higher sync rate and lower error count than a DG834 running DGTeam firmware on a 53dB attenuation line

OK, a lot of the above isn't useful for the average man-in-the-street who just wants the thing to work, but for rabid techies like myself they're pretty good cheap routers if you're prepared to forgo some of the obviously missing bits (eg SNR margin fiddling, proper syslog support, SNMP support in the most recent firmwares). If you want some of the missing bits then you can always look at the more business orientated stuff.
fredx

I switched from the Voyager 2100 to the Thomson 3 months ago and have found it to be much more stable and it does auto-reconnect which the Voyager rarely did.
Speed is also up a bit