cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Voyager 105

seanbranagh
Grafter

BT Voyager 105

I have been fixing my friends computer in my house. Reinstalling Windows and all the usual stuff. As with any computer I do this with I always connect it to my own network to save their documents, download AVG, Zonealarm etc.
They have an AOL connection so I also took their BT Voyager 105 to get the drivers and test it on my PN connection after reinstall. The strange thing is that it only connects at about 2Mb when my sync speed is about 3.5Mb. Is this modem not capable of connecting any faster? I am going to be suggesting that they buy a router anyway as I do not have much time for usb modems.
9 REPLIES 9
paulh
Rising Star

Re: BT Voyager 105

had one before my modem/router and always got 3000-4000Mb/s
prichardson
Grafter

Are you sure it is a Voyager 105 and not a Voyager 100?
The Voyager 100 will only support upto 2Mb by default, though there are some  Max drivers available for it.
If it is a 105, would potentially point to the modem itself then. However, do you have any issues on your own connection at all, even in the slightest?
Speed, ocasional drops, unexplained periods of plain oddness?
Just looking to see if your own modem could be trying just a little too hard and syncing too high.
What you can do is open the Voyager 105 panel (double click the green arrows in the task bar), then hold the ALT key and press F1.
It should bring up some screens from which you can get the line stats.
seanbranagh
Grafter

It is definitely a 105. Have never had any issues with my line. My sync speed is always at about 3300 with my Netgear DG834 and also with my old Dlink DSL 504.
lingbob
Grafter

I used a Voyager 105 before I got my Netgear DG834 and I can quite categorically state that the 105 supports speeds upto 8Mbps.
Regards .....
Not applicable

I set up an F9 connection at the end of last year and immediately got 7.5 showing so I second the previous post. 
seanbranagh
Grafter

You are all right. I have just returned the computer to my friends house complete with modem where it gets a sync speed of about 5Mb. (Lucky for them they live closer to the exchange than me). Out of curiosity I also brought my DG834 router and got a sync speed of about 6Mb so I have come to the conclusion that this modem plays it very safe with the sync speed so was only getting about 2Mb on my line.
I have strongly recomended that thy change their modem for a DG834G as it is a much more reliable and secure way to connect. They have no need for wireless at the minute but may as well spend a little extra now and have the wireless option.
prichardson
Grafter

I personally feel the modem itself may be the blame for the lower speed, though if it isn't causing a problem, is not somthing to be too concerned about.
The Voyager 105 has proven to sync inline with the best of modems.
seanbranagh
Grafter

Their connection is working fine but I still don't like the modem or any other usb modem. I mean honestly, who would trust Microsoft Windows to look after their internet connection?! LoL.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Voyager 105 does definately support 8MB. We have one - We can obtain 7.6Mb out of it.
We don't use it though cos it seems to drop the connection during the early am hours after p2p. Thought it was PN to start with, but having switched to a cheap old £8 router from ebay seemed to solve the problem.
Anyone have any experience with PCI ADSL modems? - Reliablility?Huh
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!