cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Sports over standard aerial

tolmie35
Grafter

BT Sports over standard aerial

Hi Guys, Ive recently joined plusnet. I know you guys have rolled out BT sports over sat. Im planning on buying a Humax youview box tomorrow and was wanting to make sure that you guys are still planning to roll out BT Sports with  a standard aerial. If so can you confirm that the picture will come down the aerial and not over broadband as my broadband would be to slow for a good picture.
Thanks
10 REPLIES 10
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: BT Sports over standard aerial

Welcome to the forum Smiley
BT sport is only available on terrestrial if you are a BT TV subscriber with a “Vision+” box and do not live in an area covered by BT Infinity fibre broadband.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
tolmie35
Grafter

Ok, i do not live in a fibre area.
Also from reading plusnet notes you guys at present are trialling bt sports over terrestrial areial with youview etc, I was also told this on the phone, is that correct.
Thanks
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

sorry, I don't know that - have to wait to see staff member confirms..
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
tolmie35
Grafter

Ye it was on the plusnet site advising they are trialling over terrestrial aerial and will work with youview, was advised on the phone it could be here by March.
Cheers
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

We're trialling YouView, but at the moment on Fibre connections for the ability to use multicast to get content. We've not confirmed any channels via this method yet or via any other method.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
tolmie35
Grafter

So chris, its not going to work over standard adsl, I really dont get that, going to miss out on so many customers. So it looks like I cant get youview, bit of a crazy setup especially when BT are trying to compete with sky.
AndyH
Grafter

@tolmie35 Do you know about the fibre rollout plans for your area? Where abouts do you live?
James
Grafter

@tolmie35 this is just the first stage of the trial. The first stage is trialing multicast over fibre.
I would keep your eye out for further news throughout the course of the year.
AndyH
Grafter

But there must be a reason that BT Retail do not offer BT Sport over copper multicast. I would imagine speed issues would be the top of the list of reasons.
BT Sport was available on Freeview with a BT Vision box and card (as the channel was encrypted). But it's my understand that BT have removed BT Sport from Freeview for new customers from 25 January 2014 (https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Sport/BT-Sport-on-DTT-Freeview/td-p/1139390), although they will continue to support it for existing customers.
I think BT Retail only provide BT Sport via Sky, YouView (fibre multicast) and online players. 
There's a bit of a discussion of things on here: https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Sport-on-the-Box/Getting-BT-sport-without-fibre/td-p/1146198
tolmie35
Grafter

Ye I have already checked upgrade plans for fibre and the exchange just says UE, but according to openreach its not getting done as I emailed them.