cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Smart Hub 2 with BT Whole Home wifi

eadetech

BT Smart Hub 2 with BT Whole Home wifi

Hi,

I've been with plus net for 20+ years and am happy with the service.

My current prioduct is unlimited fibre (where I achieve 70Mb/s speeds). 

Network consists of:

* Openreach Modem

* BT Hub 5 Router

* 3 x BT Whole Home Wifi Discs (main one connected to router via ethernet cable).

The problem I am having is that my devices frequently loose connection and then fail to obtain an IP address, so I have to cycle everything off/on - which resolves it, until the next time it happens.

I have been told that the BT Hub 5 is not a good router, so was looking for an upgrade.

The Smart Hub 2 has been suggested and I can see from other threads that it can be used on plus net.

Questions are:

1. If I switch over to the Smart Hub 2 - does it also replace the openreach box?

2. Can the 3 BT Whole Home discs ALL be used wirelessly or does one still need to be connected via ethernet?

3. If I connect via ethernet, then is it recommended to switch the wifi off on the smart hub 2 (as that is the recommended set up with my current set-up - as apparently the wifi from the router can cause issues with the discs).

4. If that is the case, what is the point in upgrading to the Smart Hub 2?

5. If the above set up is a bad choice, any advice for a router upgrade which may stop all the disconnects / DHCP issues.

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: BT Smart Hub 2 with BT Whole Home wifi

@eadetech wrote:

Questions are:

1. If I switch over to the Smart Hub 2 - does it also replace the openreach box?

Yes, it's an all in one,

2. Can the 3 BT Whole Home discs ALL be used wirelessly or does one still need to be connected via ethernet?

One still needs to be connected via ethernet.

3. If I connect via ethernet, then is it recommended to switch the wifi off on the smart hub 2 (as that is the recommended set up with my current set-up - as apparently the wifi from the router can cause issues with the discs).

Yes.

4. If that is the case, what is the point in upgrading to the Smart Hub 2?

You only need one box instead of 2, possibly a better modem, gigabit ethernet ports. 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
eadetech

Thanks, now £200 sounds expensive for a non-wifi router.

Any suggestions on a good quality all-in-one router?

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

fwiw. The BT Hub 5 is also a combined modem and router and thus this doesn't need the separate Openreach modem either. But some do continue to use the OR modem as they find their connection is better via this modem and some do report that the Hub 5 on it's own can drop the connection if the line isn't in tip top condition.

Having the separate modem also means you can switch the router off as much as you like and this will not affect the DLM. Having an all in one and switching it off can cause issues.

If the Smart Hub 2 is anything like(or better?) than the Smart Hub, then I can't see you having any issues.

(I have used the Smart Hub on my connection and found it connects at a faster rate (when compared to the hub 5's twin, the PN Hub One), the wifi is by far much better and ethernet connected devices work better too - I have been witnessing odd wired issues on the PN Hub One, so it's possible your Hub 5 might be a cause of your issues too...?)

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

@eadetech wrote:

Thanks, now £200 sounds expensive for a non-wifi router.

Any suggestions on a good quality all-in-one router?

You can pick up a brand new sealed BT Smart Hub (don't know how much a Smart Hub 2 is) for less than £30 off ebay, or indeed much less if you look around.

Some do opt for a second hand one for under £20, but a new one, although not guaranteed, should be fine as it would not have been used and abused. The BT Shop price for a Smart Hub is/was £137.99, so obtaining one from the likes of ebay would save over £100.

I have no user experience of the wifi discs, so can't comment on them.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Where the smarthub 2 would be useful is if it came with a disk as it does for bt customers, but it doesn't.

I'd pick up a smarthub on ebay for around £30 and use whole home with that if you already have it.

EDIT: cross post with DS. Ah well Smiley

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'