cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Openreach - Can someone else do a proper job?

cwaite
Rising Star

BT Openreach - Can someone else do a proper job?

With the threat of Openreach being split from BT, could someone else do a better job?
In my opinion whoever takes over, I don't think they can do much worse, Openreach have constantly abused their position as the (so-called) maintainer of most of the UK's telecoms network, I am hearing time and time again of customers being messed around by Openreach either not turning up for appointments, sending out wrong engineers, failing to fix faults, telling the customer one thing then putting something completely different in their reports (often leading to the customer being landed with a call out charge when the problem was on Openreaches side of the network)
I myself was led round the garden path by Openreach trying to get close to the estimated speeds I was told I would get (ended up getting less than half of what was estimated), out of 18 booked visits to try and correct a fault with my line, I had 4 no-shows, 3 wrong engineers being sent, 3 engineers telling me that they were going to check my line from outside the property and just drive off and close the call never to be seen again, and when I demanded answers to why all these problems had occurred I was told by PlusNet that Openreach do not have to answer for themselves, I was also told that during a conversation PN had with BT, BT said "they have wasted far to much time and money on me" and they would not deal with me any further. This was around 18 months ago I am still not getting anywhere near my original line estimate.
I see in the papers Openreach have posted an advert, I have attached a copy, upon reading the advert, I had to laugh when I read "Britain Deserves great broadband, and were committed to providing it!" Openreach have never been committed to providing anything but misery to the people that are stuck with no-choice but to have an Openreach line.
I for one hope someone else gets the chance to have a go at running the UK's network, because if Openreach do get to keep it, I feel they are just going to continue to abuse the monopoly they hold.
2 REPLIES 2
summers
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: BT Openreach - Can someone else do a proper job?

To my mind, the difficulty with openreach is that the contracts they set up are only with ISP companies. This means its only ISP companies that have a proper relationship with Openreach. So when custometers want to contact openreach, they have to go through their ISP. This makes it a case of chinese wispers. Also as openreach are only accountable to the people they hold contracts with, they are only accountable to ISPs. hence they currently make their offering most apertising to ISPs, which is not the same as good for the customer.
Will breaking it from BT make a difference? I'm not sure - we are all tied to that last mile to the house. That has to be owned my someone, and as its an effective monopoly, it will always be a public government controlled company. Doesn't really matter who it is.
The change would come, if cable to the property became a viable alternative. I don't know why all the companies that did cable television, didn't break into the ISP market in a huge way, and give huge competition in many markets. That would have changed the market place a fair deal.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: BT Openreach - Can someone else do a proper job?

I think people need to look a little deeper. Fibre to the home was tried a while ago, remember Nynex and all those others that are now included within the Virgin media umbrella?
How much new stuff have they implemented?
Also look at the price of broadband? Free for a year, peanuts after that, and not a lot more for higher speeds if you are near a cabinet. Everyone wants more and more speed, but no one wants to pay for it. So the boffins have come up with ways to get more and more out of aging infrastructure.
Its very easy to complain, and we do seem to get a fair share of them on this site, yes they could do better, anyone willing to pay more though?