Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Is Cold Calling

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

BT Is Cold Calling

Hi All 
BT is cold calling Broadband users See: Broadband ISP Aquiss Accuses BT of Cold Calling, has this happened to any PlusNet users?
14 REPLIES 14
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Re: BT Is Cold Calling

Yes, a few weeks ago. The CLI wasn't the usual BT one, and somehow it just didn't sound like BT, but the guy knew my BT customer number. He waffled on about how my exchange was being 'upgraded', and how marvellous BT broadband was.
As an ex-BT transmission engineer I was able to challenge the waffle, and he was totally unable to substantiate it, but the sales patter continued just as strongly.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Don`t know if this is relevant..... had a phone call yesterday, asking for me by name, when I asked who was calling, he wanted me to confirm who I was, I asked again,"who are you ?"  and he said "don`t be rude"  then put the phone down !....  Roll_eyes
Never did ring back, and I`m not bothered.... if it was that important he would call again... ! Smiley
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

A few methods I use:
1. Registered with the TPS and have caller-id (free via BT)
2. If it says "international" I either let it go to the answering machine or lift the receiver and just listen - 99% are unwanted calls.
3. If I do answer I just give the number (without exchange name/code), polite and friendly of course
4. If they ask for a family member by full name I ask who is calling
5. If they give a partial name (e.g. Mr/Mrs) I ask them to be more specific who they want, and who they are
6. If I don't know who they are I ask what business they have with us, if the answer isn't acceptable I just say we have no dealings with them thank you and goodbye.
7. Occasionally, if they appear to be a "reputable" company I ask if they are aware of the TPS - some are, some aren't and very occasionally they apologise.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Well I have just won a walk up a cruisers gangplank in the Caribbean, do you thing there is any thing to worry about Huh
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

There's only one way to deal with unwanted cold calls: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=J5z4Vs26-TI
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
scootie
Grafter

do you reckon that call was real. as if it was i bet that guy dosent work in call centre's no more LOL Grin
techguy
Grafter

Very good.
Very simple answer to cold calls, go ex-directory.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I am ex-directory and I am on the Telephone Preference Service (TPS), so if I do get a cold call I just say do you know that I am ex-directory and I am on the Telephone Preference Service list?  9 tims out of 10 the caller hangs up.  Smiley
artificer
Grafter

thanks for the tip.  i'll mention that if there's another call.
we're up late. Cheesy
Not applicable

I was ex-directory until PN messed it up. Had no idea that the arrangement I had with BT had not been transferred until someone posted here about it. Checked and lo and behold I am now no longer ex-directory.  They have taken my details off the BT Residential website but of course nothing can be done about the directory now, at least until the new one comes out and folk throw away the old ones.
I know how it has come about but am still waiting for to hear what the procedure will be to prevent this happening in the first place.
IMO it should be on the portal as a tick box in part of the signup process.
hulls
Grafter

In the last 3 months I've had about 8 calls from "moneymanager.com"  Every time I tell them that I'm on the caller preference scheme.  I don't want to speak to them, I don't want to hear from them, and I will be complaining to the information commissioner.
The last time I asked where the caller was calling from, and the girl said Leicester (she sounded Asian, so I asked what number she had).  She gave my number, but without the leading zero (ergo she was calling from overseas) I asked to speak to a manager or supervisor, but she said there wasn't one, just her..
I subsequently complained via the Information Commissioner's web site, but haven't heard anything back.  Meanwhile, my wife got yet another call from them this week!  Angry
Nothing I can do it seems, except keep them talking as long as possible in order to stop them calling other people.
John
techguy
Grafter

Hate to say this John and I don't do it lightly but think if I was suffering as you are at the hands of a persistent caller I might be tempted to use certain expletives to deter the individual from calling because at the end of the day its your line and you pay the bill and the way I see it they are invading your home and if they won't take no for an answer you may sometimes have to get a little less polite.
I hope you get some peace and quiet.
StickyMick
Grafter

Apparently I've been getting emails from "BT" inviting me to sign up for their broadband.
I also get a lot of cold callers about mobile contracts.
They normally start off with "I'm *mumble mumble mumble* calling from *mumble mumble mumble* Vodafone, and I'm going to make you an offer you can't refuse"
I've managed to work out what the second mumble is. They're actually "calling from *insert company name* on behalf of Vodafone....."
I've actually had one guy begging me "please listen and buy this or I'll lose my job, please."
techguy
Grafter

He's probably better on the dole then if a company is that bad.
Mind you, even before the 'credit crunch' the mobile market was saturated so not really surprised they are getting desparate, indeed mobile subs (both contract and prepay) outnumber people I've heard.