Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Home hub routers...

oliverb
Grafter

BT Home hub routers...

Got one of these at a car boot sale.
Seemed broken but the BT firmware tool worked, got me in.
Lots of reports of it being locked to one BT domain but it accepted Plusnet details and connected.
No idea if I can do anything with the phone as that doesn't appear to be configurable.
So...anyone else played with one of these?
3 REPLIES
Captainkirk
Grafter

Re: BT Home hub routers...

Just picked up a bt business hub from ebay - I realise that it will probably need unlocking but that doesn't seem to be much of a problem after have done a little googling about it.  I have a feeling that amongst the reading there was something about if the router was unlocked with unlocking software then you could use it with any isp but at the same time the software update didn't allow for the voip phone part to work.
I don't know if that is the same for the home hub or just the business hub
Tracey
oliverb
Grafter

FWIW I haven't run any kind of "Unlock" on it yet, just used a BT firmware update and factory reset in order to get in.
Looks as if the latest firmware isn't locked to BT for ADSL but the VOIP service is. Shame. It should still function as a DECT phone for landline calls.
A lot of talk of hacking SIP.
As I understand it to really unlock it seems to require rolling back to much older BT firmware, to enable a bunch of hacks.
There was one account of loading it with a different router's firmware, Speedtouch I think. A lot of differing accounts out there.
pd
Grafter

I have a Speedtouch 585 which is similar to the HH and it appears to be locked at low-level. 
You probably wouldn't even notice it just surfing etc. It only shows up when you try to open ports to run a server behind it. Even turning the firewall off or opening a DMZ doesn't help. 
It looks good in the web interface but it still stays well & truly locked shut!
The only way to unlock it seems to be to telnet into the CLI, I've got the manual but it's 854 pages long and I just haven't had time to go through it yet.
Something else for a rainy day.
Peter