cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Home Hub 5

rookey
Grafter

BT Home Hub 5

Folks what are the Bt Home Hub 5 like with plus net as someone offered me one but not sure either to take it or let them sell it and I get something better?  Is it any better than Plus net own router and open reach modem?
8 REPLIES 8
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: BT Home Hub 5

Much better, I have used a couple with no issues. Just make sure you do a complete reset on it to get rid of the wifi settings or it will "steal" some of your bandwith for the fon wifi without you getting the benefit.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Much will depend on your requirements.
As a solution, the 1 box is a lot neater. However, I have found it looses my HP wireless printer so needs re-connecting every day, and by default you will be hosting a BT WiFi and BT FON site - should not be a problem you will notice if you have a good high speed connection. The diagnostics are better/easier than using a OR modem.
I have one, but have a Netgear router running out the back, so I get a better wireless experience. Not yet tried replacing it with the OR modem.
rookey
Grafter

How do I get it not to host the BT wifi and BT fon.
Or would I be better getting a different all in one like days or TP link
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

given that home hubs like to randomly drop your connection whilst they do a firmware update check i'd recommend buying a different device, if you were a bt customer i'd recommend using the hub5 /
as I said before anything that is ipv6 capable (and most vdsl2 units are) should be good, if you want ot treat yourself get something that's multicast capable as well in case you get the tv package down the line/
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
HairyMcbiker
All Star

As I said above if you do a factory reset on it, then the FON is disabled.
I used one for a month or so with no issues. IPTV capable as well.
It has dual band wifi and IS ipv6 capable.
If you can get it cheaply then try it, personally I found the PN router to be rubbish (but not tried the new one).
I use a TP link TD-W9980 but I wanted more control than the BT one gives, it is very locked down.
rookey
Grafter

Do you have any problem with that TP Link router as it a great price at the moment
nadger
Rising Star

I bought HH4 to use with adsl connection in Jan last year and very happy with it.
Dual band is useful and use 5Ghz with Rokus
HairyMcbiker
All Star

No real issues, some features I would like added but no issues.