Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT 'Complete WiFi' device promises to speed up your internet by 25%

Dev
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

BT 'Complete WiFi' device promises to speed up your internet by 25%

BT has launched a new home broadband system it claims 'guarantees' a strong, reliable connection in every room of the home.

The communications company says that it hopes to put an end to Wi-Fi blackspots and ledges a strong, reliable Wi-Fi signal with 'wall-to-wall coverage'.

The new technology, called BT Plus, pairs the new BT Smart Hub 2 router with up to three Wi-Fi discs, which pair to extend network coverage throughout the home. 

The discs act like wifi extenders, bouncing the signal around your home.  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-6434175/BT-Complete-WiFi-device-promises-speed-inter...

10 REPLIES 10
Mav
Fixes: 514

Re: BT 'Complete WiFi' device promises to speed up your internet by 25%

Moderators Note

Thread moved from My Router to Tech Help.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

These have been round a while, there are many solutions made by most of the big router manufacturers.

Examples see https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_9?url=search-alias%3Dcomputers&field-keywords=whole+home...
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

It's amusing that the Mail article says that WiFi coverage is a regional problem with "Ripon in North Yorkshire the worst affected region for poor Wi-Fi".

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Just shows the lack of thought that goes into 'news' these days - one reason why I never place much reliance on what the media reports these days.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

It's headlines like: 'This will speed up your internet by 25%' that I take exception to. Such headlines seem to me to be designed to confuse people and con them out of their hard earned money.. If you have a large house you may get improved wifi but it's never going to go faster than the speed already available using an Ethernet cable without buying these devices.

I guess that statistical analysis justifies the claim using averages. To quote Churchill: "I only trust statistics that I doctor myself".

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

corringham
Seasoned Champion

I have a large house and garden. I have excellent high-speed WiFi coverage everywhere (and the WiFi actually covers several acres), however my broadband is rather slow ADSL.

If these BT devices really could increase my internet speed by 25% I'd be interested (and my understanding of physics would be proven wrong).

dvorak

Sadly not, it only impacts wifi in the house - nothing to do with the speed that the broadband is delivered to your house.
Customer / Moderator
corringham
Seasoned Champion

Yes, I know - that was the point I was making. It is very bad journalism, and if it appeared in an advert it would be wrong to the extent that ASA should be involved.

dvorak

Maybe the PCC as it's not an advert
Customer / Moderator
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

@corringham wrote:

It's amusing that the Mail article says that WiFi coverage is a regional problem with "Ripon in North Yorkshire the worst affected region for poor Wi-Fi".

I cannot believe this fact is true but WiFi will be affected by the size of your house and the construction of your internal walls.  So if you happen to live in a community where the houses tend to be large and the internal walls are made of stone or brick or concrete then you will live somewhere where the WiFi tends to be poor.