cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Broadband Availability

grabro

BT Broadband Availability

I hae recently moved to plus and the move has been mainly satisfactory, except that my download speeds are lower than I expected (varying between 1 and 3 Mbps). Before transferring I used the BT link to see what speeds I could expect and the answercame back consistently as 5.5 Mbps. Since joining plus, and checking the the speeds with thinkbroadband, the speeds achieved have been, to say the least, disappointing. They say it is down to BT wholesale. Now when I re-check with the BT availability link the answer comes back as up to 1 Mbps or, sometimes, an indication  that it is not a BT line (of course not, it is plus for broadband and telephone). Out of interest I put in my immediate neighbours numbers and up comes the 5.5. When I spoke to plus support about my low speeds they pointed to the 1 figure which they can now see for my line. Another point, a few people I know have talktalk and here the link is unambiguous - it says simply, no BT line.
My question  is, should I expect to get a reliable answer from BT for a plus connection which plus now quotes at me, or should I expect, like talktalk clients, to get no answer or an erroneous one? Any thoughts?
grabro
10 REPLIES 10
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: BT Broadband Availability

Quote from: grabro
my download speeds are lower than I expected

Before commenting on any of your questions we'd like to see your detailed router stats; they will give a good guide to realistic expectations and where to start resolving/explaining any discrepancies.
grabro

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately I don't know how to get the router stats and this tells you how far behind the curve I am.  Sorry!
grabro
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

grabro

Thanks again for both replies.
I think that the stats are
Downstream Link info  Loop loss 29: SNR Margin 16: Cell count 463083 speed 4192
DSL Max Data 
BNP Interface data: Current Line rate 3500    Max stability rate 576.
ADSL2+ is coming to my exchange on 31/03/2009. Will this improve matters?
grabro
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: grabro
Downstream Link info  Loop loss 29: SNR Margin 16:  speed 4192

Something is wrong, that Loop loss (attenuation) says your line is only about 2km long, is that plausible given your location relative to the exchange?
You should get a good clean 8meg connection at that distance (and 16meg with ADSL2+).
However SNR Margin 16 says there have been (are?) problems probably due to interference or poor wiring. This will slow you down but not (I would have thought) to half speed.
So 5.5mbps from BT is a fair and "conservative" estimate.  Wink
What make & model router are you using?
grabro

Thanks HP Sauce.
Actually I am slightly less than 1 Km from the exchange as the crow flies. The router is a standard one supplied by plus (Thomson). This city has two universities with many students (heavy downloads) living in  rented accommodation - this, I am told, places a heavy burden on the facilities. The wiring is also very old.  Also, I suppose that BT can make a more accurate assessment after the particular equipment is installed. Anyway, it was very kind of you to reply. I will wait to see what ADSL2+  does.
grabro
HPsauce
Pro

The most likely cause of your unsatisfactory connection is poor internal wiring.
Please connect the router to the BT Test Socket and report back your router stats from there.
The students are not relevant to anything I'm referring to.
Denzil
Grafter

By the way, you will find the test socket by unscrewing the bottom half of the BT master socket. Inside you will find another socket. This is the test socket. This is the closest point you can get to BT's equipment, so eliminates your own wiring. There is a problem somewhere, so it is worth trying to solve it.
grabro

Thank you both for replying.  The readings were directly from the test socket. Earlier in making my connections I did not use the test socket and I moved to it to see if speeds would improve. It actually seemed to make no difference, so taking into account your remarks I suspect that it is the external wiring and this I will have checked. Thanks for your thoughts. I think I will leave it now and begin again when ADSL2+ is available. Plus said that they would allow me to take part in the trial if I contact them at the end of the month. They seem to be a helpful organisation.
grabro
HPsauce
Pro

If that's from the Test Socket something is badly amiss.
Are you sure the Test Socket is properly installed, i.e. when accessible all extension wiring is totally disconnected?
If you only get 4mbps there's no point going to ADSL2+ as it won't be any faster, except maybe the uploads.