cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT: 100Mbps. Virgin: 200Mbps. Why?

bapbap

BT: 100Mbps. Virgin: 200Mbps. Why?

Telco's and ISP's are investing in upgrading equipment to bring customers faster speeds. I'd like to know why! Apart from possibly attracting customers who are "savvy" enough to want fast speeds but stupid enough to forget download caps and restrictions, what is the point?
Option 3 currently allows you (roughly) to watch two, maybe three, 60 minute programmes from iPlayer per day.
When you consider that multiple members of a household may stream TV (Zattoo), watch things on iPlayer/4oD, download a film, download some music, games, applications, FTP their dog photos to their blog, check email/facebook/bebo/myspace and let's not forget, surf the web - from their laptop, iPhone, N95, desktop computer, media centre connected to their TV then finish the day off with some xbox Live gaming, it's clear that speed is not the biggest problem.
I don't really care if I can stream/download my two iPlayer programmes 20 seconds faster than before, if that's all I can do every day.
I use the internet quite a lot and am lucky enough to be on the old 40GB plan from PlusNet. I've been having to manually check my peak usage every couple of hours to ensure I don't go over my daily quota of 1.3GB. Now that I use Zattoo, it's VERY easy to go over this, especially with so many devices and people connected to the internet here. I know I can pay extra so I can use more but is this not the point of where the internet is going? To a more on-demand, get what you want, when you want it, affair? And not a, download two TV programmes during the day slightly quicker than you could before but if you want to do anything else, you are going to have to stay awake between midnight and 8?
This is not a rant at PlusNet, nor do I fully understand why I'm posting this! I'd just love to know if usage restrictions are going to get better and not worse, like they seem to have.
7 REPLIES 7
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: BT: 100Mbps. Virgin: 200Mbps. Why?

Quote from: bapbap
I'd just love to know if usage restrictions are going to get better and not worse, like they seem to have.

From what I have red All ISP's will be throttling the traffic.  Cry
ctech500
Grafter

Not sure what your post is about But question was BT 100mbs Virgin 200mbs why?
The simple answer is that Virgin are ahead of the game when it comes to fibre.
The fact that BT have vowed to offer FTTC by 2012 is IMHO due to the fact that virgin are really blowing the old trumpet when it comes  to fiber
Remember the original  BT 21CN plan was just ADSL2+ over copper  BT had no immediate plans to offer FTTC.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

My point is that BT or Virgin can put a pipe of 1000mbs, but you won't get that speed, the ISP will throttle the speed that you can download a file. 
ctech500
Grafter

Sorry Midnight my comment was a general one it wasn't aimed at anyone in particular.

ctech500
Grafter

Quote from: Midnight
My point is that BT or Virgin can put a pipe of 1000mbs, but you won't get that speed, the ISP will throttle the speed that you can download a file. 

I remember a time when I could go to a restaurant and eat as much as I want for a Fiver.
Later the goal posts were moved, to the deal being limited to certain hours of the day ie when the restaurant was less busy.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

and that is watt the ISP's are doing moving the goal posts.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: ctech500
The simple answer is that Virgin are ahead of the game when it comes to fibre.

Why, because ofcom stopped BT installing fibre to allow the cable companies to have a technology advantage to draw customers away.
So should BT be allowed to use Virgin fibre or are we going to have 2 lots of fibre in the roads?