Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BSOD problem: advice welcome.

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

BSOD problem: advice welcome.

I've had rwo BSODs recently. In the second one the error code was
0x00000077 (0xC00000B5,0xC00000B5 0x00000000 0x00AF6000). At the time I was creating a Sandralite report. I am running XP Home SP3.
Can anyone enlighten me, what the codes mean; where the problem may lie, and how to deal with it, please?
I've run a test recommended elsewhere which told me that there is some instability that may cause occasional crashes with Firefox, Thunderbird by way of example, but gives mo clue as to where fault lies
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
5 REPLIES 5
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: BSOD problem: advice welcome.

First I would test the memory - try downloading and burning memtest86+ to a CD, boot off the CD and leave it running overnight.
The error indicates a problem reading data from the page file on disk so could indicate a disk problem or a memory corruption causing unexpected things to happen.
Another check is to run CHKDSK /F /R C: from a DOS prompt (do the same for other hard drive letters). This will force a filesystem check on the next reboot.
Luzern
Hero

@ Peter Vaughan About Memtest, I am going to show my ignorance once more! Embarrassed
Which of the versions do I need?

** Memtest86+ V4.00 (22/09/2009) **
    * Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.gz)
    * Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
    * Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable Binary (.gz)
    * Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable Binary (.zip)
    * Download - Pre-Compiled EXE file for USB Key (Pure DOS)
    * Download - Pre-Compiled package for Floppy (DOS - Win)

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

* Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
Then unzip it either using windows or winzip or 7zip and burn the resulting .iso file to a CD and boot your system off the CD.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Have a look at this advice from Microsoft:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/228753
Since one possible cause of the error is a faulty hard drive, make sure your back-ups are up do date.
Luzern
Hero

On the matter of backups, I use the old Nero6 package. It allows bacups to the CD/DVD  drives, but I can not find how to backup to a pen (removable storage) drive. Advice welcome Smiley
Other matters are in hand but initially I've been culling duplicate pictures, and surprised at the number on file..