Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

BIOS

The BIOS gives me the option of choosing my Hard Drive or DVD as the first boot option but what if I want to use a USB Memory stick with rufus/ISO as the first boot option as there appears to be nothing obvious in the menu for this ?
We are born into history and history is born into us.
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: BIOS

Which motherboard
On my Gigabyte under Advanced BIOS Features I have Floppy, LS120, Hard Disk, CDROM, ZIP, USB-FDD, USB-ZIP, USB-CDROM, USB-HDD, Legacy LAN, Disabled
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Gigabyte  GA-H61M-S2PV
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@gleneagles it'll likely only show if it's plugged in, usually a BIOS will have two options - F2 (or similar) to enter the BIOS itself and F8 to choose which device to boot from. Not always those keys, but both options usually show up shortly after turning the PC on (if you're quick).
Hope that helps.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Thanks for that.
The old motherboards had a much simpler menu.
Looking on Page 21 under Gigabyte - UEFI DualBIOS it shows boot option priorities so I could not understand why USB was not listed, however you have answered the question for me.
Making changes in the BIOS is something I am not that comfortable with unless I clearly understand what I am doing.
7up
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
Making changes in the BIOS is something I am not that comfortable with unless I clearly understand what I am doing.

I wouldn't worry too much - the worst that can happen is you tell it to boot from the wrong or non-existent device. You can't really damage a computers bios by tinkering with it and if you do get something wrong you just reboot and go in again. It's when you upgrade the bios that is asking for trouble. I've known people brick motherboards doing that several times. I've no idea why they bother to be honest - as long as it boots the computer thats all i need - it's not like anti virus lol.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!