Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS Beep codes

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

BIOS Beep codes

Am  at a loss here......  Mate of mines laptop has failed. Occ get to the BIOS but after a few seconds jagged lines appear accross the screen, and eventually the system freezes.  Sometimes it filed to get this far, and I have seen the message, Check SYStem, then press F1. Then it all dies.  Occ also I get some BIOS beep codes.  I have googled around for ages, getting conflicting solutions, ranging from Memory, graphics issues, or CPU failure. The beep code is 2 short 1 long, followed by 3 short, and then cycles back to 2 short 1 long etc etc.  It does this till system shut down. I do have a spare MOBO for this, but if its a memory issue, would prefer this to stripping down the system. Can anyone offer advice??  Laptop is a Toshiba Tecra S1.
4 REPLIES 4
Njal
Grafter

Re: BIOS Beep codes

Nick_Russell
Grafter

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Took out the memory and reseated it. Tried only 1 module as well.  Now system is virtually dead......  Powers up, and the CPU fan spins, but nothing else, not even any BIOS codes.  Suspect a major system failure. before I go about stripping it down, and refitting the MOBO, anyone else suggest anything???
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Well swapped out the MOBO today, got one on fleabay that was supposed to be from a working Tecra S1.  Now once switched on, All I get is the CPU fan powers up, DVD drives flashes a few times. No screen output at all, even tried on an external monitor. Also cannot hear HDD spin up.  I am suspecting the MOBO isnt working. Swapped out the memory from my working Tosh laptop, and still nothing, so its not the memory. Only thing I can think of is the CPU has failed.  Would this cause these symptoms, or should I still be able to access BIOS, even with a failed CPU. If its not I suppose its a failed MOBO. Shame as its a decent laptop.....
Cheers