Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BCD Records

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

BCD Records

Anyone know how to fix BCD records in Win7 without the aid of an installation disk?

I run Win7 on an M2 SSD - they don't play nicely together so standard Repair and System Images disks don't work. I also have Win10 on a separate SSD which is where my problems stem from.

A Win10 updated borked the start up sequence with a 0xc0000034 error message. The Win10 system disk couldn't fix this automatically. The manual fix (going to Troubleshooting and then a Command Prompt) worked a couple of times but didn't stick. This involved running

bootrec/fixMBR

bootrec/fixBoot

bootrec/scanos

bootrec/rebuildBCD

On going back to Win7 I got the same error message. My best guess is that running two SSD's with Operating Systems has confused the BCD file. My current bodge to get into Win7 (discovered by pure accident) is to go into the Boot up menu and select a Win10 Clone from a separate SSD (this hasn't been updated so doesn't have the error) which works. Then re-start and go back into Boot and this time select the option which was originally used for Win10 - this takes me to Win7.

However, Re-start and Shutdown are a no no - I need to use the bodge.

Brian

5 REPLIES 5
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: BCD Records

This is not a "fix" for your current problem.... but an idea to consider, with respect to the state of Windows 10 and all it`s problems, ..... past..... present.... and    future..

Using a spare HDD, or SSD.... download and install a version of ZORIN15.3   https://zorinos.com/download/

There are three versions......

ULTIMATE  (£39) ...

Supports "the best Business and Media apps....

MAC o.s. ,  Windows,   Linux  & Touch desktop layouts,

over 20 games included

CORE ESSENTIALS.....   (£00.00)   yup.... FREE !

Windows and Touch desktop layouts only ...  

Libre Office  (compatible with MS Office

Useful Accessories & utilities

LITE  (£00.00)   Yup  Also FREE>...  ideal for OLD computers (up to 15 yrs old) .. to make them move faster ! ! !...

lightweight (linux) Desktop Environment ( XFCE)   but with a WINDOWS DESKTOP layout only...

ZORIN is a LINUX based Operating System.... that you can run "most" Windows type progs/apps on, and they self install in just the same way as on a Windows operating system#

The first windows program you try to install,  from the .exe  download will automatically install WINE before actually installing the windows program/app  this normally takes a while, and you need to answer a few "yes" or "ok" request along the way... but... once that has been completed, the windows program will install , and your next and subsequent windows (.exe) downloads will install seamlessly, as if you are running windows o.s.

Once you have done the initial download/install and got ZORIN running, it takes a little while to "get to know".. how it works, but generally, your windows progs will run from the Desktop icon, or Menu right click "Open" command on the mouse.  

You can then put your old HDD/SSD into a USB CADDY and transfer all your files and folders to the ZORIN HDD/SSD  and forget about WIndows and all it`s problems ! ...  (or you could keep that windows ssd in the caddy and access the files and folders direct from that external drive... )

If you have a Windows program that does not run after the install is completed then you will need to install VIrtualbox.6 ( or latest version) ...https://www.linuxbuzz.com/install-virtualbox-6-on-zorin-os-15/

and it`s accessory (Extension Pack)  (guest additions) (covered in the above linuxbuzz linky to access the usb....

you can then  run your Windows 7  o.s. without any updates ( not required if not going on line on Windows ) ... just for the "odd" windows prog that does not run on ZORIN....

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@bmc Brian,

Either of these any use ?

https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/bcdedit-command-line-options

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero

@shutter 

Thanks for the suggestion but I like Win7 and will stick with it to the end. Win10 was only installed as it was free!!!!

Having said that I do have Linux Mint 19 on a Intel NUC box with a copy of Win7 running in VirtualBox6.

The current problem is with StarUp, not running the program itself. I may have lost a couple of e-mails but nothing too bad.

Brian

bmc
Hero

@MisterW 

Thanks for the links - I'll have a look later.

My current thinking is to remove the M2 SSD from the motherboard and then see if I can get a clone SSD to run without interference. If I can I'll think about making that my primary Win7 SSD and then see If I can clone a copy of Win10 to the M2 drive. This would be a long term solution to the M2 / Win7 problem. As I'm currently "in" Win7 I can back up all my data files before I do anything.

The problem itself is Win7 was at end of life when M2 drives were introduced so no Drivers were written for the M/S Install ISO. My motherboard manufacturer wrote some and created a tool to create a USB ISO that worked. However M/S System Image and Repair disk won't work. If I can switch drives then the problem should sort itself out.

Brian

bmc
Hero

Update

So it appears I was correct in thinking that having Win7 on an M2 SSD and Win10 on a separate SSD was the cause of the system not accepting repairs.

Removed the M2 SSD from the motherboard. Booted up Win10 and fixed the error  (again!!!). Shut down and removed the Win10 SSD.  Tried running a cloned Win7 SSD but no joy. Put the M2 & the Win10 SSD back in and booted up. I can now boot to either program without getting any error messages.

Indeed, I have got the Dual Boot window back (lost it previously with a Linux screw up!!!). Booting up appears to take longer as it goes through a couple of extra windows. Bit annoying but it works. Indeed having the Dual Boot window back is annoying. Previously the system went direct to Win7 and if I wanted Win10 I had to hit F12 and go to the boot menu. As I only did this once a month (to update Win10) this wasn't a problem.

Brian